Got my 260 purring today

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I finally got around to checking the timing in the Cruiser. It was set at 12BTDC at idle. That would be great if it was a SBC but my manual says it should be 20BTDC @ 1100. So, I adjusted it and gave it a test run. WOW! Lots more power from a stand still and the engine even sounds better. It has a nice V8 growl to it now. Can't wait until the morning when it is cold to see how it starts and runs when cold.

ponchoman49

Apprentice
May 27, 2009
NY
It's funny how many Olds 260 and 307's I have seen with the base timing set way too retarded. I suspect many of them had bad EGR valves which caused pinging thus the timing was dialed back until the knock was gone. My buddy has a 79 Calais coupe with the 260 and set the base timing to 22 degrees from the previous 14 setting. We also omitted the spark delay which held back timing advance to only around 25 degrees. It now advances a full 32 degrees where it should and the little 260 is much more driveable.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
ponchoman49 said:
It's funny how many Olds 260 and 307's I have seen with the base timing set way too retarded. I suspect many of them had bad EGR valves which caused pinging thus the timing was dialed back until the knock was gone. My buddy has a 79 Calais coupe with the 260 and set the base timing to 22 degrees from the previous 14 setting. We also omitted the spark delay which held back timing advance to only around 25 degrees. It now advances a full 32 degrees where it should and the little 260 is much more driveable.

I think the main problem is most people think they are the same as a Chevy engine and set the timing to Chevy specs.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
In a way I'm happy for that though, I was able to pick up an Olds 350 for almost nothing because the P/O had it timed like a chevy and was frustrated it couldn't move out of its own way :rofl: . I brought it home, cleaned it up, adavnced the timing to where it should have been, and had a very nicer runner :twisted: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor