Got some downtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
All right, I've got a few minutes of downtime at work, so I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself

Hi, names Kenny, and I'm a Chevrolet fan and owner of an 86 Monte Carlo. Not an SS mind you, just a plain jane grandma model. It's currently recieving it's 4th motor (original 305, a stout 355, a blown 360 so far). The new motor is a 95 Vortec truck block, with an Eagle steel crank, powdered metal rods, forged Speed Pro dished pistons, Crane hydraullic roller cam, Brodix aluminum heads, roller rockers with stud girdles, twin AFB's on a GMC 4-71. All this goes through a hydraulic clutch and a 5-speed to 4.56 screws out back. High rate springs are cut for the right stance and KYB gas shocks help smooth it out. BMR tubular control arms help hook the power and 17x9's wrapped in Goodyear rubber help it grab the asphault.

Now you're probably thinking that it's a bit of a mismatched combination of motor, gearing and suspension. Well, you're right it is! Actually I put the road race type suspension together with a high winding small block, manual trans and steep rear gears, for a fun driver car. Worked like a champ, in fact it worked so well, that I was offered a complete .060 over small block with the blower and all associated hardware as a trade. Well I've always wanted a blower motor, and I figured this would be my only opportunity, so I swapped motors. Of course that motor didn't last long, but now it's time to get serious.

The suspension set-up is awesome, but really can't handle the low-end torque of the blower. But as long as the tire are spinning, I'm not breaking transmission or rear end parts! I'll upgrade to a stronger (6-speed) trans and probably drop the rear gears to the 3.42 range sometime in the future, and I've got all the pieces for a rear disc brake conversion when money and time permits. Hopefully the new motor will fire in the next couple of weeks, and I'll try to post some pictures when I get a chance.

Kenny G

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
wassup neighbor, glad to see more florida people.

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
SafariWagon said:
Do you play the clarinet too? :lol:

It just so happens... I DID play Clarinet and Saxophone in high school!

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
carbuf said:
It just so happens... I DID play Clarinet and Saxophone in high school!

lol i played clarinet in middle school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor