Got the Malibu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I finally got my buddy's 78 Malibu to my house!
20210327_172402.jpg

Lol It's not as bad as it looks! I have all the body panels

Is the RPO code stick on the underside of the truck lid? If so, it's missing
20210327_175744.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I finally got my buddy's 78 Malibu to my house! View attachment 171538
Lol It's not as bad as it looks! I have all the body panels

Is the RPO code stick on the underside of the truck lid? If so, it's missing View attachment 171539
I'm sure it will look good when it's assembled, and a nice paint job done on it.

And yes, the sheet normally would be in the trunk lid there.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
No SPID labels on Malibus...too old.

The labels started in 1984, I believe

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Depending on what assembly plant, and how many people have been into the car, there's a chance that the build sheet is in it somewhere.

I have found them in back seat upper cushions, and taped to top of headliner. Others have said to have found them on the backside of the side panels.

There aren't supposed to be any in the car at all, but the line workers didn't really follow the rules about discarding them like they were supposed to

I would suggest downloading the info from the GM heritage center...it includes the materials used to place an order, specifications on drivetrains including eng/trans/axle combinations....

Reactions: 1 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I got news. It's a 305 with stock heads, Q-jet, but has headers. I'm guessing it's a completely stock LG4, which I figured it would be.

I wanted to see if it would at least start before anything else. So I hooked up a fresh battery and.. click! Nothing, no movement.
I know the battery is good, so I took a breaker bar and tried rotating it by hand, but again nothing. After that fail I removed all the spark plugs and spayed some wd40 in the cylinders to try and free up the pistons. Water poured out of 6 and 8.
So I took the bore scope and looked in the cylinders to find #2 clean but worn, #4 with water deposits, and #6 and 8 with at least a half inch of water inside.

Thoughts?
I'm thinking turbo 3.8! JK if it was mine I would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor