HELP GP Speedometer cluster removal help

Terreri31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2023
Hey folks! Found this forum trying to find help online. Looking forward to being a part of the community here. I have an 85 GP LE.
My tach and speedometer weren't working so I wanted to take out the cluster. I took out the bolts and plastic shield. It feels like it is being held up behind the speedometer. I have the harness unplugged. How do I get the speedometer to release from the dash? Doesn't seem to be a way to get back there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624_143814_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_143814_Gallery.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 72

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
If you can push a little slack on the speedo cable and allow enough room for you to get your hand behind the speedo. You will see or feel a tab at the end of the cable where it attaches to the speedometer. Press that tab and that should release the cable from the speedo.
If it doesn't allow enough slack, unhook the end of the speedo cable from the cruise control transducer and push some of the slack towards the speedo.
Hope this helps you.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Terreri31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2023
Welcome aboard!
If you can push a little slack on the speedo cable and allow enough room for you to get your hand behind the speedo. You will see or feel a tab at the end of the cable where it attaches to the speedometer. Press that tab and that should release the cable from the speedo.
If it doesn't allow enough slack, unhook the end of the speedo cable from the cruise control transducer and push some of the slack towards the speedo.
Hope this helps you.
Awesome thank you! Worked like a charm. What the heck is this wire plugged into the back of the speedo that runs to a blue/green box under the dash?

Reactions: 1 user

Terreri31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2023
That's the speed sensor for the computer.
Thanks! Ended to doing away with the computer some 20 years ago so I suppose ill just bury it back there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624_182050_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_182050_Gallery.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 65

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Thanks! Ended to doing away with the computer some 20 years ago so I suppose ill just bury it back there.
Nice set up but I'd swap out that glass fuel filter for something safer. A few Easters back the wife's oldest nephew lost his built square body to an engine fire from a bad glass filter.

Reactions: 1 user

Terreri31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2023
Nice set up but I'd swap out that glass fuel filter for something safer. A few Easters back the wife's oldest nephew lost his built square body to an engine fire from a bad glass filter.
It's on the to do list for sure. I almost had an incident because the fuel line on the carb itself was leaking and there was a pool of gas laying on the intake

Terreri31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2023
Thanks for the help gents. Got the tach and lots working. Speedometer/odometer still doesn't work though. Chances are it's just the cable then? I did have a chance to get rid of that odd faded orange off the gauges at least

Attachments

• 20230624_232531.jpg
    20230624_232531.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230624_191217.jpg
    20230624_191217.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor