Gran Prix opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Hello guys, I might have a chance to buy a 86 GP off the original(old) owner. It is a 3.8 car with 85k(I think) grey outside with grey interior.

If I can get the car cheap enough I see two ways I can deal with the car

Version one: New stock grey paint and complete tune up on the engine including getting another carb and replacing all of the fluids and adding some new white letter tires to the stock steel ralley wheels and putting on a new stock exhaust.

Version two: Ditch the V6 and drop in a 350/350 combo with long tube headers and 2.5 inch true dual exhaust with X-pipe and some flowtech Raptor mufflers with turndowns. Mount a Shaker scoop to the air cleaner and cut the hole in the hood for it then paint the car black with some silver racing stripes up the hood and down the back and put some 16x8 black GTA wheels on it.

Which way would you guys go with it? Either way the car will probably be sold when done either way so which way would it sell quicker?

I don't suppose anyone has some pics of a black GP with some black GTA wheels on it?

Thanks

Randy

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Just had another though, rather than a Shaker scoop maybey one of them Ram Air scoops I keep seeing on different cars.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Here are some pics of the car, BTW it is 81k original miles.

247994185.jpg

247994208.jpg

247994192.jpg

247994257.jpg

247994237.jpg

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
id clean it up and keep the V6. should do decent on gas, which aint cheap BTW. ya got your monte for a hot rod, keep this one for a good daily :wink:

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
I would replace the 200 transmission in that thing and put in a turbo 350... fairly easy swap with adding new vacuum line and replace the transmission cooler lines with metal and high pressure hose/clamps.... My old lines started to leak after the swap.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Thanks guys, for now I think I am going to get the v6 running better and see how it does and if it is still a solid engine I will just keep the 3.8 in it, it doesn't smoke at all but I did notice it does have a small oil leak.

BTW it turns out it is a 83, not an 86.

mugzi

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2007
this way

i have a gp also and i'll tell you dont want that v6. i have a 305 and when your in the gp and a monte ss pull next no matter what the year was. you are going to want to be in front, trust me. been there. 350 or better, rear end, suspension and brakes and you will be good. i like original rallys but i understand if you like crome i do as well so some ss cragars or some others will do.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Too bad it's not a 4.3 TBI V6. Very easy swap from a 4.3 TBI to a 350 TBI from a truck since most of the stuff should be plug and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor