Grand national axles in a 7.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned before, two mods are required. The thickness of the end button on the GN axles needs to be machined or ground down from 0.250 in to 0.200 in. The C-clip groove on the GN axle is the 8.5 size, 0.765 in; the C-clip groove on the F-body and G-body axles are 0.710 in.
DSCN4463.JPG

In the pictures above and below, the modified GN axle is on the left, the F-body axle in the middle and the raw GN axle on the right. Note the hub is deeper on the F-body axle, but it's the same diameter as the GN axle/Gbody. Note the smaller C-clip diameter on the F-body axle.
DSCN4454.JPG

Below, the raw GN axle on the left, F-body in the middle, and modified GN on the right.
DSCN4456.JPG DSCN4457.JPG DSCN4458.JPG
DSCN4460.JPG DSCN4461.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4455.JPG
    DSCN4455.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 195
As I mentioned before, two mods are required. The thickness of the end button on the GN axles needs to be machined or ground down from 0.250 in to 0.200 in. The C-clip groove on the GN axle is the 8.5 size, 0.765 in; the C-clip groove on the F-body and G-body axles are 0.710 in.
View attachment 89686
In the pictures above and below, the modified GN axle is on the left, the F-body axle in the middle and the raw GN axle on the right. Note the hub is deeper on the F-body axle, but it's the same diameter as the GN axle/Gbody. Note the smaller C-clip diameter on the F-body axle.
View attachment 89679
Below, the raw GN axle on the left, F-body in the middle, and modified GN on the right.
View attachment 89681 View attachment 89682 View attachment 89683
View attachment 89684 View attachment 89685
thanks for posting this info. this is why i love this forum. great info, great people.

So I'm looking at diff's on eBay, do I go with the torson or the gov lock? From what I'm finding they are both lsd for the camaro and small truck

Check out a new $340ish one on quick performance. They have 4 levels, cheap import, yukon, yukon they say is yukon, and eaton.

If you buy the second cheapest one it's a yukon that they just don't tell you. They also have the cheapest bearing and shim kit with quality parts I found.

I tried finding a used posi but if you want one now they are a bit challenging to find. Friend of mine sat on ebay for a few months and bought the cheapest one he could get and it was still darn near $200 + shipping.

And yeah, gov locks are called gov bombs for a reason, I blew mine up running high 12's. They engage after slip starts with super loads parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor