Grand Prix Radio Install Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that sells a radio install kit for a 1980 Grand Prix. I took the cd player out of my old daily driver and want to put it in the 1980 Grand Prix dash I put in my car but can't find a kit to install it. I know the wiring I just need one of those mount/install kits.

Cowhead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2007
Well assuming that its a U Style Radio in there now with the Knob on the left and one knob on the right with the push button presets you wont find a kit to put a Modern CD Player in there... You will have to do what I did and cut the Trim Pannel with a dremel and then get in there and dremel out the steel that the old knobs went thru... Once that is done you will need to get a 1/4 or 1/2 in trim plate (Thin piece of black plastic that goes over the hole you just cut either 1/4 or 1/2 depending on how straight your cut is) So then get your mounting bracket for the CD Player and put that thru the trim piece and then put that on to your trim for your car and bend the tabs out and your done.. I did it to my car and have never had a problem the only problem i have ever had was I broke my trim by making the screws to tight DAMN good luck let me know how it turns out....

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
What type of radio are you puttin in it? Is it aftermarket or just from a newer vehicle? If its aftermarket you can find an install kit at walmart or meijers or anywhere that sells car audio. I got mine for the monte at meijers and it works fine.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
My old 80 GP had the factory plate with the big hole already. So all I did was buy one of those install kits from Canadian Tire and everything bolted up. They also make wiring kits so you don't have to hack your factory harness. I don't know if you have a Canadian Tire where you live, but most autoparts stores have them. Car audio shops usually have them too.

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
I cut the factory knob radio plate to fit the aftermarket radio sleeve. I tried an aftermarket kit that was supposed to fit my car, but it didn't. If you don't have the factory radio plate, see if you can get one out of a junkyard.

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
Well here is some pics. The radio I want to install is an after-market one. The first one is of the radio that came with the dash when I got it out of the junkyard. As you can see it has 4 hole for mounting it. Don't know if this is the U style radio? Anyways the second pic is of the one I want to put in the dash. It has a black plastic mount on it but I bent the tabs so it slides right off. It only has 2 mounting holes on it and they are not even close. Also the third pic shows how much wider the factory one is. I really do not want to cut up the factory faceplate as the radio is in perfect condition and I might want to reinstall it someday in the future. And a lot of junkyards around here don't have older cars in them. So I am hoping that there is a kit.
Picture029.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The only thing I can think of is that's the wrong kit. Because when I had my 80 GP I put a CD player n with one of those kits. And it fit perfect.

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
The one in the pic isn't a kit I bought, It's the kit that was used in my daily driver (92 chrysler) which I took the radio out of. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a kit for it and was just comparing the size of the cd player I want to put in there to the original one. I looked at some kits at best buy and walmart but none of them said they would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor