Gremilns

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGeek

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2011
After a few ocassions of battery cables coming loose and car failing to start here and there, I took the plunge and bought a new battery and some new cables and got to work on ripping things apart.
The starter on this 1985 Cutlass had what could only be referred to as hack job wiring (I'll try to get a pic later). I pulled out this rotted, shredded mess of fusible links, what looked like burnt up speaker wire, and electrical tape. So needless to say, there was work to be done. I ran a new thicker gauge wire (the size escapes me at the moment) off the small terminal of the starter and up to the inside wheelwell, where I mounted an automatic resetting relay (I hate fusible links). I ran the two factory wires (that were previously connected to the melted fusible links) to the other side/connector of that. My pink/purple ignition wire is okay. My alternator wire to the battery is fine. I started everything up, runs good. I ran some Sea Foam through the carb (haha, white smoke is funny) and drove the crap out of it. I've been driving it off and on for a few days. Now comes the problem:
I pull into the Burger King drive-thru, early in the morning: it's dark out, my headlights are on, my heater is on full blast, my foot is on my brake. I pay for my coffee, get ready to pull up and the car shuts off. Everything. Turn off the key, wait a minute or two and start it back up again, and drive it home. So something cut out/overloaded the relay.
If you were me, where would you start looking first? I have one of those Craftsman Voltage testers (which I know how to check 12 volts with, but that's about it) so what should I be looking for? Volts on lines? Amps on lines? I'm no electrician, but I do know the basics of electricity and how to and not to electrocute myself. So what should I check first?

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
I'm sorry, but when I saw gremlins....
gremlin-premier.jpg

jimmyp618

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2009
What amp/size fuseable link did you remove and what size went in its place?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Randy_W said:
I'm sorry, but when I saw gremlins....
gremlin-premier.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one who clicked the thread expecting.... :lol:

What kind of shape is the starter solenoid in? I take it (the starter) in to a parts jobber and have them test it, just to be sure it's not drawing too many amps. I had a similar issue to yours with a car a while back and that was the culprit.

TheGeek

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2011
I got it from Autozone, I wanna say 30 amp? The wiring coming off the starter was all melted and torn up, which is odd because the car would still start and run, I just wanted to change everything out for preventative maintanance sake. I ran one single wire from the small hookup on the starter with a little bit thicker guage than the two wires that come off of it and snake off to who knows where. I did this (and it may have been a mistake, I'm no electrician) because i was splitting one wire from a power source into two, so could this right here be my problem?

(starter)=======thicker wire==== (relay)--------two smaller guage wires------ (firewall/accessories?)

TheGeek

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2011
soooo..... back on topic.... :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor