Grocery Getter Gottup and Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
In 1994 the Navy stationed me in Pearl Harbor. I had a 1983 Malibu wagon that was on its third motor and fourth transmission. Trial an error, but I had it right this time. 400 SBC with Stealth intake and S/R torker heads, and a 200R4 with a pressure switch and a floor-mounted highbeam switch to lock up the converter. 2-1/2 dual exhaust, 3.73 posi and IROC swaybar. Primer hood and four different color doors for a sheep-suit.

I'd go drag racing on Friday nights at Barbour's Point...14.67 @92 mph with the spare and toolbox. Then I'd take three or four friends diving on Saturdays and Sundays if I didn't have duty. Five guys and ten air bottles...they paid for gas, lunch and air fills.

I used to love bombing up H1 between Honolulu and Pearl in the left lane, only to have the highbeams flash in the rearview. Two rice burners weaving through traffic playing tag. 'Um, OK.' Drop it into third, munch on the go pedal, and watch the funny expressions getting really small in the rearview mirror. I never knew how fast that car'd go, even after I installed a copcar speedo and buried it at 115+. Y'know, indicated speed of 'D'...

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
I miss my old wagon. I had a 78 with a tweaked 305 and the stock 2.41 gear out back. Slower than... oh well, you get the idea. Not much off the line, but it'd cruise at 100 all day. I dropped in behind a Mercedes and a BMW tag team duo going from Atlanta Ga over toward Columbia SC. They kept speeding up and I could see the looks of disbelief as that Chevy grille stayed right in the rearview. Speedo wasn't working at the time, but based on approximate milage and elapsed time, I'm estimating that we averaged 110. I admit it probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done (but certainly not the dumbest!), but it was a great "once in a lifetime" experience....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor