GROSS AXIL WEIGHT RATIO (GAWR) FOR A 1987 CUTLASS 442 T TOP CAR

carman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2016
Hi, would anyone know the GROSS AXIL WEIGHT RATIO FOR A 1987 CUTLASS 442 T TOP CAR, I need to order new door labels and this information is not visible
I need the separate front and rear weight

Last edited:

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Cue 69hurstolds in 3...2...1... :)

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Shush, Joe. :)

Technically, GAWR is Gross Axle Weight Rating. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. It only really meant something to GM and the Federales. It's the gross weight of the vehicle and what that the vehicle can hold, so 5 people, 5 suitcases, etc., may weigh 700 lbs, say, you would add that weight to the vehicle weight and there you have it. If it's less than GVWR, you can pile them in safely. USUALLY it's around a little over a ton in front and a ton in back for G-bodies.

But this varies on each car...a little. Each has a base weight, but changes as options were added. I haven't taken any time to delve into that because who really cares anymore?

Depending on options and other things, the GVWRs comes in individual flavors. GM used a "guide" to determine the effect of GAWRs for each option. In the real world, they do have a general range. Unless you have the actual build sheet or any other paperwork that shows the front and rear axle weights, you won't really know for certain.

And how many people REALLY look at it? Most owners that worry about getting the right data on their door jamb decal for their vehicles are long past going to ever overload it. Unless you win all the trophies at every car show and carry them in the trunk.

My guess is this load is exceeding the safe GAWR RR for this truck.
OL-Higgins.jpg

I have a slew of examples of GVWR decals.

My recommendation- I picked out a car's door jamb that had T-tops, but that doesn't make a lot of difference. But here's some numbers that's in the ballpark:

Use GVWR number of 4435 LB/2035 KG. (basically adds the two GAWRs together, although there are some examples of this being off just a bit)
Use GAWR number of 2277 LB/1033 KG for the FF.
Use GAWR number of 2208 LB/1002 KG for the RR.

You will be fine.

Here's a loaded out 85 442 T-top car decal with my own reproduction draft next to it (my own car). It's a Salon base, which is a tad heavier than the Supreme. That's why I said go with the numbers above and you'll be fine. My 85 is one of those examples where the KGs don't add up, yet the pounds do. Rounding? The 87 decal is a bit different, but my 87 doesn't have T-tops.

85 442 door jamb decals.JPG

Here's another 87 442 decal from a January car. You can see the numbers are a bit different, but not all that much. You could even use these numbers if you want.
1987-oldsmobile-442 door jamb 1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

carman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2016
Shush, Joe. :)

Technically, GAWR is Gross Axle Weight Rating. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. It only really meant something to GM and the Federales. It's the gross weight of the vehicle and what that the vehicle can hold, so 5 people, 5 suitcases, etc., may weigh 700 lbs, say, you would add that weight to the vehicle weight and there you have it. If it's less than GVWR, you can pile them in safely. USUALLY it's around a little over a ton in front and a ton in back for G-bodies.

But this varies on each car...a little. Each has a base weight, but changes as options were added. I haven't taken any time to delve into that because who really cares anymore?

Depending on options and other things, the GVWRs comes in individual flavors. GM used a "guide" to determine the effect of GAWRs for each option. In the real world, they do have a general range. Unless you have the actual build sheet or any other paperwork that shows the front and rear axle weights, you won't really know for certain.

And how many people REALLY look at it? Most owners that worry about getting the right data on their door jamb decal for their vehicles are long past going to ever overload it. Unless you win all the trophies at every car show and carry them in the trunk.

My guess is this load is exceeding the safe GAWR RR for this truck.
OL-Higgins.jpg

I have a slew of examples of GVWR decals.

My recommendation- I picked out a car's door jamb that had T-tops, but that doesn't make a lot of difference. But here's some numbers that's in the ballpark:

Use GVWR number of 4435 LB/2035 KG. (basically adds the two GAWRs together, although there are some examples of this being off just a bit)
Use GAWR number of 2277 LB/1033 KG for the FF.
Use GAWR number of 2208 LB/1002 KG for the RR.

You will be fine.

Here's a loaded out 85 442 T-top car decal with my own reproduction draft next to it (my own car). It's a Salon base, which is a tad heavier than the Supreme. That's why I said go with the numbers above and you'll be fine. My 85 is one of those examples where the KGs don't add up, yet the pounds do. Rounding? The 87 decal is a bit different, but my 87 doesn't have T-tops.

View attachment 225728

Here's another 87 442 decal from a January car. You can see the numbers are a bit different, but not all that much. You could even use these numbers if you want.
View attachment 225729
Thanks big help! my car has two sticker on them that cant be read, I have plenty of books, manuals, and literature, but none gave me the gawr so I thank you now I can order reproduction stickers

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wait, you've been here for over 7 years and these are your first posts? Where you been?

And you should post a pic of your car, do a little intro, maybe outlay your plans for your car, etc. Not required, but it helps us get to know you. It's seems obvious you don't know many of us.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi, would anyone know the GROSS AXIL WEIGHT RATIO FOR A 1987 CUTLASS 442 T TOP CAR, I need to order new door labels and this information is not visible
I need the separate front and rear weight

Where are you getting the labels?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Where are you getting the labels?
If I were to guess, it's ECS. They charge $50 last I checked and the only ones who bother to do them, I believe. Lots of cash IMO. I do my own and they look just as good as theirs. But that's JMO.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
what does this mean? if you don't have an answer why bother commenting.
Whoosh!!!! Everyone look down!
See how 69hurstolds cued in 55 minutes after my post? 3..2..1...?
And the "why bother commenting" was because Mike always has those answers quickly and it was funny to those who know how fast he has the answers.
See whut I mean?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Whoosh!!!! Everyone look down!
See how 69hurstolds cued in 55 minutes after my post? 3..2..1...?
And the "why bother commenting" was because Mike always has those answers quickly and it was funny to those who know how fast he has the answers.
See whut I mean?
TBH, I was about done typing in all that junk and ready to send it when your post showed up. So I purposely waited and made breakfast first before I hit "post reply". I didn't want to be "labeled" as that guy. But yeah, you knew.

And, boy, do I have answers. Just not always the correct ones.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor