Harness Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So, as related elsewhere, I did finally drop the LS6 manifold into position on my LS2 mill. It went in with a set of new port gaskets as, when I lifted the old ones, there was oil under them for which I elected to use alcohol as the cleaning solution of choice. i did have to very gently and circumspectly take a machinists file to the casting flash along one side of the galley cover near the driver's side rear to obtain a little wiggle room to get the manifold to sit down square so that the capscrews would align. They still need to be torqued which will require a 1/4" drive inch/pound torque wrench to complete.

However, now I am looking at a possible injector wiring harness plug anomaly. The pins on the injectors in the old manifold seem to be centered in their sockets. The ones in the -6 manifold however seem to be offset ever so slightly towards the manifold body. Is this an optical illusion or do I need to pop out the old injectors from the old manifold and re use them in the newer one?

Nick

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
All LS Engines have oil in the ports, that normal and fine.

LS1/6 Injectors use the older EV1 type connector, what connector do you currently have on your wiring harness?

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
My current harness is compatible with the LS2 version injectors that were installed in the truck manifolds in 2002. That was one of the exercises that I went through yesterday, to confirm that the harness and the stock injectors for the truck manifold were a match; and they were. However, the resident injectors in the LS^ manifold have harness plug ins that are shaped totally differently. While they are two pin, the socket itself is more of a square shape than a rectangle. I had thought of the possibilily of swapping the -2 housings for units compatible with the -6; means a lot of work on the harness but it could be done, except.... The sockets themselves are not available. Spoke with the Parts Department Manager at the local GM dealer and they don't even carry anything for the wiring. It is all totally restricted to the service floor and even ordered directly. Plus, of course, 20 years old.

So the game plan now is to remove the LS6 fuel rail and extract the -6 injectors so I can test fit the LS2's. if they prove to be the same profile and height, and fit the bosses in the manifold correctly, then I will substitute them into the manifold and re-assemble the whole system. Not optimal but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Popped the fuel rail off yesterday afternoon and it came away easily. Discovered that the aluminum tubes immediately beneath the rail ports were extensions or spacers of some kind. Curious. The injectors themselves are still socketed in their bosses. They just did not want to come out of their own accord so I gave them all a heavy dousing of Deep Creep and walked away to give it a chance to do its thing. When I went to separate those extensions from the injectors they sat on, every one of them popped free but the O-ring on the injector came along for the ride. They are a blue color so me here thinking they are aftermarket silicon or similar. Think they may have been originally put in dry or with a lube that dried out overtime. May check in at the local indie speed shop to see if Felpro offers a kit of them. Physically the -2 injectors look to be about the same height and diameter as the -6's so doing the swap out looks more and more possible.

Wondering about one thing though. If they are silicon or even Poly-U, could that silicon die-electric lube be used to grease up the O-rings and get them to slip into place easier with less chance of tearing or pinching?

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Did manage to extract the injectors out of their bosses on the LS6 manifold. Major differences between them and the Truck LS2.

1. The -6s are at least 1/2 inch shorter in overall length

2. The -6 injector tip has a significantly smaller diameter than the LS2

3. The electrical connection is totally different.

4. The lower body diameter carries about .017 thousandths difference from unit to unit

5 It feels and seems that while the -2 injector wants to sit down, I think the larger spray head is causing it to jam against the locating shoulder at the bottom of the boss.

From some just now surfing It almost looks like the injectors currently in the LS6 manifold are LS3 units which makes them totally incompatible with the factory harness.

DSCN3036.JPG

So, a couple of pictures; this shows the overall difference in height/length between the injector from the LS6 and the stock injector from the LS2 truck manifold

DSCN3037.JPG

DSCN3038.JPG

These two shots illustrate the physical difference in the shape and configuration of the stock LS2 plug in versus the one on the injector from the LS6. While both are two pin, that is about all the similarity they have.

DSCN3039.JPG

This a good comparison shot showing the physical difference in the size and shape of the nozzles. From the O-ring to the end of the injector is about the same for length but it is the width that is the issue. Even though the length of body on each as far as the upper shoulder is also near identical, the wider diameter on the LS2 injector causes it to jam or crash against the locating shoulder down at the bottom of the injector boss. The smaller nipple on the LS6 injector allows it to pass by the shoulder and stand proud of the manifold into the intake port. I don't think that the LS2 unit could do that even if it did manage to sneak its way past that shoulder.

Which brings me to my question of the day.............. What version injector do I have to acquire to get the small head and the LS2 style 2 pin small body plug in?

Anyone???

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Finally.

Stumbled across the Performance Systems website. it appears that, although the motor is an LS for all practical purposes, GM classifies it as a Vortec?? As such the engine is termed an LM-7, which matches the documentation on the invoice plus the year of service and the make/model in which the engine appeared. Good news but, it really doesn't mean much because there are 6 variants, the LR4, LM7, LQ4, LQ9,LM4, AND L33, all of which use the same injector. That injector is ided as a Multec, GM p/n 17113698. The site kindly included pictures with its ID list and the picture is a dead nuts ringer for the part in my hand.

Starting with the LS2, the injector changed to an EV-6 and that is what is in the manifold. Not going to list the variants for it here, too many.

It does not appear that a small nozzle version of the Multec injector was ever offered. It also means that the Multec injector is not compatible with the LS-2/LS-6 manifold.

What all this devolves down to, is that I either have to swap the sockets on the harness from the Multec version to the EV6 version, or I have to find some kind of harness adapter to insert in between the factory plug and the ev6 socket.

Back to the question thing. Does anyone know of a supplier who offers the EV6 version plug as a separate part for sale? Failing that, who offers an adapter to convert the LM multec plug to the EV6 injector socket??

(Think that buzzing sensation that I am hearing is my brain comtemplating a monumental fart at having to digest all this; time for a nap :)

Nick

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
  • Clever
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
A wealth of riches. El-Cam, the adapter you uploaded to this thread is actually the mirror of what I am searching for. The visible female plug would mate with the socket on the Multec injector. Thing here is, I need it to mate with the EV6 injector and then accept the female multec plug that is a part of the harness I have.

RabbitHoleSS, good on yer, mate. I had taken a peak at that guide but couldn't get it to download off their website. Your version is downloadable and I was able to print it off.

Far left of the picture, the first image of an injector, that is what I have installed in my LS6 manifold. From the stack of options, it appears like my injector is the LS3 model, and the USCAR socket pictured below it is what I need to establish the electrical connection. Of the adapters shown above, the longest one is also part of the assembly and sits between the injector and the rail.

And the link brought me to the promised land. Poked at the scroll arrow once or twice and Voila!! a listing for LQ4/LQ9 to LS3 EV6 which is exactly what I am looking for. Translated into English that is the male Multec plug at one end and the female EV6 plug at the other. AKA The Missing Link.

THANKS LARGE RABBITHOLESS!! Well Done, Sir!!!

Now all I have to do is persuade Amazon to sell that kit to me without me having to go through the hassle of them wanting me to join their unholy assembly.

I was able to download and print off the page containing the relevant data for the connector so at least I now know it exists. (Wondering now if I can persuade my piggybank to cover the action......Here, piggy, piggy, piggy, piggy.............).

Nick

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
A wealth of riches. El-Cam, the adapter you uploaded to this thread is actually the mirror of what I am searching for. The visible female plug would mate with the socket on the Multec injector. Thing here is, I need it to mate with the EV6 injector and then accept the female multec plug that is a part of the harness I have.

RabbitHoleSS, good on yer, mate. I had taken a peak at that guide but couldn't get it to download off their website. Your version is downloadable and I was able to print it off.

Far left of the picture, the first image of an injector, that is what I have installed in my LS6 manifold. From the stack of options, it appears like my injector is the LS3 model, and the USCAR socket pictured below it is what I need to establish the electrical connection. Of the adapters shown above, the longest one is also part of the assembly and sits between the injector and the rail.

And the link brought me to the promised land. Poked at the scroll arrow once or twice and Voila!! a listing for LQ4/LQ9 to LS3 EV6 which is exactly what I am looking for. Translated into English that is the male Multec plug at one end and the female EV6 plug at the other. AKA The Missing Link.

THANKS LARGE RABBITHOLESS!! Well Done, Sir!!!

Now all I have to do is persuade Amazon to sell that kit to me without me having to go through the hassle of them wanting me to join their unholy assembly.

I was able to download and print off the page containing the relevant data for the connector so at least I now know it exists. (Wondering now if I can persuade my piggybank to cover the action......Here, piggy, piggy, piggy, piggy.............).

Nick
No problem, glad I could help. I just went thru all this a few weeks back when I bought L96 injectors. I'll probably solder my ev6 plugs into the harness since I snagged them with the intake/injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor