Stock Wiring Harness

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Im trying to repair the factory wire harness for a 84 Buick 3.8 and I have an extra green wire. It comes out of the main harness at the same place as the distributor wire, alternator plug and a/c compressor plug. The a/c plug looks like it has been repaired. Any ideas on its destination? Any help is appreciated.
IMG_0460.jpeg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Dark green is usually temp sender on GM products

Reactions: 1 user

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
I went through my whole wiring harness. Plug by plug. Its not the green wire for the compressor clutch unless there are two green wires that go to it.
IMG_0455.jpeg
IMG_0454.jpeg
IMG_0453.jpeg

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
I know I know comparing a 305 V8 to a 231 V6 may be an apple to oranges comparison but see if this will help you out...

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
I know I know comparing a 305 V8 to a 231 V6 may be an apple to oranges comparison but see if this will help you out...
Thanks for that bro. I’m going to double check it against mine.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Could be the Idle Stop Solenoid (ISS) or idle kicker on the carb. This is a solenoid that allows the idle to increase when A/C is active. It is de-energized when the car or A/C is shut off to prevent "dieseling" (engine run-on). This system is used to compensate for the required idle speed increase to offset the drag of the compressor, without having to raise the hard stop on the throttle shaft of the carb.

s-l500.jpg

This actually makes more sense to me than the temp sender, given the location where the wire exits the harness sheathing. Kinda forgot about that since on the last one I built all that was elimnated.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor