Have to reroute entire trannsmission lines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Put in some new headers, the transmission lines now run along side the collector and block the starter from being installed. A search resulted in reading about using rubber hose for a short distance to connect the lines to an external cooler. Will rubber (even with ss braiding) be sufficient for replacing entire transmission line to run along the passenger frame rail? Or is it better to custom bend a metal hose?

If using metal is better, how much skill and patience is needed. Will I need any special tools besides an end flare tool?

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Metal, and then one of those cheap flair kits and tube benders you can get from autozone/oreillys etc. Only use rubber hose when connecting an aftermarket cooler. And only use the rubber hose that comes with the cooler kit..just remember not to cross thread the fittings on the cooler lines that go into the transmission..

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Metal it is...I just mentally routed a path that won't require but a few bends.

I'm hoping to just unhook the hoses and plug up the holes in the transmission case as quick as possible. Anyone know what size thread I'll need for a plug bolt?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
moose said:

I'm hoping to just unhook the hoses and plug up the holes in the transmission case as quick as possible. Anyone know what size thread I'll need for a plug bolt?
From my past experiences, most of the fluid loss will come from the lines and the radiator cooler because the trans lines are above the pan and therefore, will not drain off much fluid. I would disconnect and drain the lines at the trans...then remove them and drain the radiator cooler.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
bill said:
moose said:

From my past experiences, most of the fluid loss will come from the lines and the radiator cooler because the trans lines are above the pan and therefore, will not drain off much fluid. I would disconnect and drain the lines at the trans...then remove them and drain the radiator cooler.
Touche, I should have taken physics...

A local transmission shop sells 5ft pieces of stainless tubing with fittings and flared ends for $8.60. That's only a dollar more than what oreily's/autozone wants for a piece of galvanized brake line alone. I can borrow the bender and flare tool, so for $20 I'm actually looking foward to doing this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor