Having trouble with Speedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I have an 86 Cutlass with a 403, 200r4, 2.49 gears, and 235/70-/15 tires. I cant find a gear combination that will work with my car, what should I do?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Is that supposed to be 2.29 gears? Never heard of 2.49... I'd swap the rear out for a 3.42 or 3.73 having that 403 and an overdrive trans, lots of fun will be had :D
There's a website that has a converter as well as any gear you can think of, I cant remember it off hand, time for a Google search...

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
Thats actually my problem the gear choices the calculators give me dont exist in real life, what can I do?

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
13 tooth transmission gear 24 tooth speedo gear (aka driven) so 235/70's thats a pretty tall tire you have no rub issue's ?
anyway here a link to the site I used .... that thing must just idle at like 100mph 8)
http://www.chevelles.com/shop/speedo.html

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I had the factory chrome rally wheels but they were beat to death. When I was working at the shop I fixed this guys 74 Vette, and he gave me the 70s American Racing wheels and tires off the car when he bought new ones. So the rims kind of look like the Vector wheels but with more spokes, and I have GR 70 Raised White Letter Firestone's on my car now lol. They're a little flat spotted from being on the car in his garage since the 80s but they'll do until I can afford some new ones. The wheels look pretty sweet and so far they don't seem to rub at all, but the fronts come a little close, So I may switch to like a 225/65 or 215/65 in the front but keep my 235s out back. Eventually I plan to swap in a 373 8.5 inch rear I have but I need to rebuild it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor