haynes vs chilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
IMO...both suck...lol. Seriously...they both have needed info, but lack a lot of detail, and instruction. They are good for specs on torque, tune ups, etc. Factory or dealer repair manuals are much more detailed and I highly recommend those if you are restoring a car.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
It's almost 6 one and half a dozen the other. I like chilton's a little better because it has more pictures and drawings. Some will dislike it for the same reason.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
I have found both lacking, and dislike both the same amount......I agree if you can find the factory manual for a decent price (think I gave about $24 for mine), that is your best bet.
As for picking between the 2, it's a crap shoot either way, IMO.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
What do you need to know how to do? There are lots of how to's all over the internet. I havent purchased a manual for any of my cars in the last 7 or 8 years. Just dont need them anymore with the internet. If you do want to check one out, sometimes libraries have them, and most of the time a library card is free.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Without a doubt, the internet is by far the fastest way to find out what you need to know. But, having a shop manual is always a good source, since most of what you find on the internet worth reading was probably copied from a manual at some point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor