MALIBU Head. Rest

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Hey now. How do you remove the headrest from a split bench?
I have been pulling at it …. So far no luck. Is there a trick? Dez

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
you may need a slim jim piece of steel to pop it out

I think I know what the problem is. I had to cut some headrests out last year from an El Camino split bench seat. there is a plastic insert behind the aluminum bar. iirc, there is also a small flat spring that locks into a notch on the vertical bar, you would have to pry up using the slim jim in order to get the whole thing to slide out.
someone on the ECC forum wanted the plastic inserts. rather than risk destroying them trying to remove, I just cutout the seat backing plate at the spot marked with dashes and shipped it to him. what I do remember is that the backing plate sandwiched that bar with spot-welds and it was almost impossible to see where the parts slid in.

1716757490443.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
From the Fisher manual. From a piece of 1/64" (.0156"/0.4mm) flexible strap steel make it atleast 6" long, 1-1/16" wide with a 5/8" wide tip being 3/8" long angles leading to the tip. Make sure all edges are smooth. The manual shows the non working end curled up. I used a piece of aluminum to make mine.

Reactions: 4 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
you may need a slim jim piece of steel to pop it out

I think I know what the problem is. I had to cut some headrests out last year from an El Camino split bench seat. there is a plastic insert behind the aluminum bar. iirc, there is also a small flat spring that locks into a notch on the vertical bar, you would have to pry up using the slim jim in order to get the whole thing to slide out.
someone on the ECC forum wanted the plastic inserts. rather than risk destroying them trying to remove, I just cutout the seat backing plate at the spot marked with dashes and shipped it to him. what I do remember is that the backing plate sandwiched that bar with spot-welds and it was almost impossible to see where the parts slid in.

View attachment 239918
Omg. It’s not an easy thing. How horrible.
Thanks. I think I will just forget the whole idea. And leave them.

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
From the Fisher manual. From a piece of 1/64" (.0156"/0.4mm) flexible strap steel make it atleast 6" long, 1-1/16" wide with a 5/8" wide tip being 3/8" long angles leading to the tip. Make sure all edges are smooth. The manual shows the non working end curled up. I used a piece of aluminum to make mine.
This may be a project. Perhaps I forget it for now. Lol. Thanks for all the info I will save it. And perhaps if I snap….. I will attempt this .

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Hey now. How do you remove the headrest from a split bench?
I have been pulling at it …. So far no luck. Is there a trick? Dez
not sure theres any difference from buckets but recently seen these.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you will be removing the upholstery, you can get to the locking spring once the back of the seat cloth is pulled up.

Reactions: 1 user

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
not sure theres any difference from buckets but recently seen these.
Well isn’t that amazing. Where does one get that tool!! And what is it called. ?? Great thanks.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor