headbolts????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
ok so my motor is in the machine shop to get dipped and honed. almost ready to assemble the motor. time to order the cam, headbolts etc.

now my intake, timing cover and oil pan bolts are all stainless steel, so it would really suck to have to install black oxide head bolts but on the other hand all stainless bolts is crazy expensive.

now these are the bolts that my head manufacturer recommends: Head Bolts / Studs: Stock Head Bolts or ARP #134-3601, Head Studs - ARP 134-4001 or 234-4301 (12pt)
http://www.profilerperformance.com/sbc-heads-176.html

now i found these from summit:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-134-3703/

they fall under the same category of usage as the ones recommended except they are black oxide under the valve cover and polished stainless outside the valve covers. that and they are 12 point.

so what do yall think? anyone see any issues?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Summit list them for your application so I wouldn't think twice about running them.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
only one bad thing about using the 12 bolt head bolts is it makes me want to switch to 12 point fasteners for the rest of the motor

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
In my opinion just stay away from head studs they are know to leak and are really not needed unless going forced induction or if motor is going to see alot of tear downs. And its always a good idea to have the block Plate honed with whatever fasteners you deside to go with. I learned that the hard way

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Re: headbolts and other parts????????????

chevy2480 said:
In my opinion just stay away from head studs they are know to leak and are really not needed unless going forced induction or if motor is going to see alot of tear downs. And its always a good idea to have the block Plate honed with whatever fasteners you deside to go with. I learned that the hard way

dont worry i am not using studs. whats everyones opinion on 12 point bolts for the whole motor or just sticking with my 6 point bolts?

13bravo

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2011
Hudson, NY
Pioneer I believe it is makes a nice 6 point head bolt that the outside exhaust head bolts are a stainless coated shiny bolt. I also believe the price for both cylinder heads is around $55, and they come with the sealer already on the threads, just use a little arp lube under the head of the bolt.

I'll get pics of them from my V6 that's sitting on the stand.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
thatd be awesome. im trying to order tonight or tomorrow morning

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Re: headbolts and other parts????????????

mebe007 said:
chevy2480 said:

dont worry i am not using studs. whats everyones opinion on 12 point bolts for the whole motor or just sticking with my 6 point bolts?
I personally think the 12 points look cool but either way you go works just fine.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
now how the hell do i use 12 point header bolts?

13bravo

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2011
Hudson, NY
Don't quote me on the part number since I'm going from my head, but I think it was S327 and 2 are needed per engine, but I do know NAPA does carry them, and here's pics of the V6 we used them on.

PIC_1232.jpg

PIC_1230.jpg

PIC_1229.jpg

PIC_1228.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor