Header Bolts Near Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Curious as to how you guys/gals are tightening these up without raising/lowering the engine? Is there something that I am missing, there is literally no room to get these back in. I honestly do not remember how I removed them in the first place. Only difference is that I added some exhaust wrap to the headers.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Curious as to how you guys/gals are tightening these up without raising/lowering the engine? Is there something that I am missing, there is literally no room to get these back in. I honestly do not remember how I removed them in the first place. Only difference is that I added some exhaust wrap to the headers.
Problematic spots might require different a different hardware approach. I've had more than one application where poor access warranted a stud/nut combo on select tubes vs a bolt.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
I put exhaust wrap on my headers and it made it a bit more of pain. The driver side I was able to do it easily but for the passenger side I took a cheap harbor freight open ended wrench and cut it down to make it shorter.
Its not the tightest thing in the world but no exhaust leaks

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I know its more work but those bolts are a lot easier to get at with the inner fenders removed. Did it that way on both of my cars. I get the car up on stands, climb under the fender opening and straddle the front rotor. I also bought an offset open end wrench.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I know its more work but those bolts are a lot easier to get at with the inner fenders removed. Did it that way on both of my cars. I get the car up on stands, climb under the fender opening and straddle the front rotor. I also bought an offset open end wrench.
Header bolts & spark plugs. I use a 3" hole saw for a well positioned port on the pass side usually. Drivers side doesn't hurt either but I can usually access everything on that side. I just use one of those plastic or chrome body style plugs to cover the hole up afterward. It's not necessary to cover up though.

It wasn't mentioned what the specific nature of the tightening issue was. If it's strictly the tightening of the rear bolts, the holes in the inner wheel tubs allow using a ratchet/socket & long extension. That's how I do those rear plugs.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Ended up cutting a wrench in half to get to those bolts.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
I took a junk wrench and heated the middle and bent it 90 degrees, It better than cutting one because you still get good leverage on the wrench vs it just being a stubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor