header pros..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you still have the emission system on the car? Do you have the AC/heater air box under the hood? Are you running a carb or EFI tbi setup?

Well naturally you'll need to remove the old exhaust for starters... 😛

Depending on what brand they are... usually all you need to do is undo the motor mount thru-bolts and jack the motor up a bit, then remove the starter and the oil filter and you've got more than enough room.

Blake, did the 87' MC's have any sensors tapped into the exhaust? I'm not sure if the monte carlo's in 87' were still running quadrajets or if they were all TBI. The only thing I can remember in my bu's exhaust was those small tubes that screwed in the manifold itself and ran back to the smog pump and charcoal canister.

As far as headers, I'm running flowtechs and came in from underneath the car with them with no problems. I just wish I had chucked the air box way back before we put the headers on. Makes accessing the starter and header bolts 1000 times easier.

The only TBI cars were the 4.3 V6, the SS was still carb'd.
The only wires going to the exhuast would be the one oxygen sensor, which if you aren't reinstalling in your headers, you can just roll up the wire and tie it up somewhere.
Unless you're running smog-legal headers for some odd reason, all that air injection stuff can be removed and blocked off.

That's what I figured. All the monte carlos I've seen were carbed except those few who love the TPI setup :lol: . Only reason he would have to even worry about the emissions junk is if he were in California. If not, just get some antique plates and you can do whatever you want with it. My antique plates on my 80 bu don't expire until 2099 (Lifetime plates baby!) :mrgreen:

patmckinneyracing said:
That's what I figured. All the monte carlos I've seen were carbed except those few who love the TPI setup :lol: . Only reason he would have to even worry about the emissions junk is if he were in California. If not, just get some antique plates and you can do whatever you want with it. My antique plates on my 80 bu don't expire until 2099 (Lifetime plates baby!) :mrgreen:
its a carb. took off oil filter,starter but still no pass. ima try takin tha motor mount loose and see what happen's. the headers are flowtech. thanks for tha tips

[quote="mc87ss]its a carb. took off oil filter,starter but still no pass. ima try takin tha motor mount loose and see what happen's. the headers are flowtech. thanks for tha tips[/quote]

Are you trying to go in from the bottom or the top? You should be able to get them in from the bottom but you will have to jack the car up pretty high. You can undo the motor mounts and jack the motor up too, just watch you distributor cap to fire wall clearance.

Remove starter and spark plugs...move oil pressure sending unit to the top of the manifold, drivers side falls right in....remove passenger side valve cover , passenger side falls right in.

People try to make this too complicated.

I've done it this way on 3 seperate monte carlos (85 ss, 86 ls, and another 86 ls)

80Maliboo said:
Remove starter and spark plugs...move oil pressure sending unit to the top of the manifold, drivers side falls right in....remove passenger side valve cover , passenger side falls right in.

People try to make this too complicated.

I've done it this way on 3 seperate monte carlos (85 ss, 86 ls, and another 86 ls)
got the headers onit look great. thanks for all yall tips and suges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor