Header questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
2 part question. Firstly what everyone opinions on header sizes? When do you need a 1 3/4 tube header for a SBC versus a 1 5/8? This leads me to my second question. Has anyone ever used or tried to use circle track headers? I see them advertised for G Body street stocks. Reasonably priced, but im not sure if they would work in an actual stock car. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Header tube diameter is determinded by the engine build and size. A smaller tube header works better on a smaller engine and/or more mild builds. A header sized too big hurts the headers ability to scavage the cylinders ( especially at lower RPM's ). Usually people use headers that are just too darn big, but sometimes ( like in my case ) it's because you have no choice due to what's available. If the Olds exhaust ports weren't so damn big and a smaller tube header could bolt up to it without over lapping the port, a 1 5/8" header ( or maybe even 1 1/2" ) would work better for me.

Header tube length and collector size/shape also factor into how a header will function on a particular engine. Remember, a headers primary function isn't to flow lots of exhaust gas. It's main job is to scavage the cylinders. If a headers main job was to just be a big low restriction tubular manifold, then a bigger header would always be better, but that's not how headers really work.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
DoubleV said:
....If the Olds exhaust ports weren't so damn big and a smaller tube header could bolt up to it without over lapping the port, a 1 5/8" header ( or maybe even 1 1/2" ) would work better for me.

So of couse, the next question is....why dont they make smaller tube headers for Olds engines?

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
+1 to doublev

you are fine with the standard size headers of 1 5/8. once you start getting into a race motor then you bump up to 1 3/4 or like me who is pumping out some serious power and track only you spend the cash and go with a 1 7/8 to a 3.5 collecter

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
bill said:
DoubleV said:
....If the Olds exhaust ports weren't so damn big and a smaller tube header could bolt up to it without over lapping the port, a 1 5/8" header ( or maybe even 1 1/2" ) would work better for me.

So of couse, the next question is....why dont they make smaller tube headers for Olds engines?

Because most people think ( erroneously ) bigger is better, so these companies market bigger headers knowing they will sell more because that's what everybody will buy. Also, they can keep the costs down by making only 1 size header that would 'work' on various levels of performance builds.

Also, the Olds exhaust ports are so freakin big, you can't really fit a header smaller than 1 3/4" anyway!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
GhettoRacingKid said:
+1 to doublev

you are fine with the standard size headers of 1 5/8. once you start getting into a race motor then you bump up to 1 3/4 or like me who is pumping out some serious power and track only you spend the cash and go with a 1 7/8 to a 3.5 collecter
what brand header has an 1 5/8ths inch tube for an Olds engine?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
bill said:
GhettoRacingKid said:
+1 to doublev

For a G-body? None unless you count Sandersuck shorty headers. Either Heddman or Hooker had a set for older A-body's but I don't know if those are still around or not.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
DoubleV said:
bill said:
GhettoRacingKid said:
+1 to doublev

For a G-body? None unless you count Sandersuck shorty headers. Either Heddman or Hooker had a set for older A-body's but I don't know if those are still around or not.

Thats what I thought.....

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I cant see why it would be that difficult to make a header for an Olds engine that had 1 5/8ths tubes....just takes a bit thought and design. After reading this post, I have decided it makes little sense to consider going with any available header on my SBO stock set up.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
A 1 5/8" is a good size for a stock( ish ) 350, but for an OLDS, they would just have a severe port mismatch. Look at the size of an Olds 350 exhaust port and then look at the inlet size of a set of small tube headers. Not a very good match to say the least.

Also, the manufactures simply don't care about building a small tube Olds header becayse they wouldn't sell. Companies only care about profit, not making a small fraction of their customers happy.

With that being said, even an oversized ( 1 3/4 ) set of headers would be better than manifolds, but for a stock 350, it wouldn't be the night and day difference many others have made them out to be. Lots of yahoo's out there unfairly compare the stock manifolds w crossover and crap factory size/style crinkle bent sh*t exhaust to headers and a nice mandrel 2.5" exhaust and say 'wow, these HEADERS made a huge difference'. People can be so stupid sometimes.

For a stock smogger 350, a set of 1 3/4" headers would roughly knock off about .2 seconds and give you about 2 mph at the track IF you're running the same exhaust system. On a hotter setup, those numbers would increase dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor