Headers For "Odd" Engine Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
I put an Oldsmobile 350 into my 1987 El Camino. I am looking at these, which have very mixed reviews: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-11152flt/reviews?filterReviews=OneStar but seem to fit a g body, both regal and cutlass engine bays. I believe the Elco engine bay is shorter (?), but I was wondering if there are any real differences in width or location of steering column. IMG_0000.JPG IMG_5124.JPG Side note: the steering column sleeve is pulled up at the moment. Another Edit: What is the difference between Oldsmobile and chevy headers?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The main differences are going to be port spacing and flange bolt pattern. To make life easier on you, any header for a 307 equipped, G body 442 or Cutlass will fit. Hope it helps.

Reactions: 4 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I had the Hedman's on my Cutlass, they fit well. Those look similiar to the Hedmans. Just an fyi, you will have to take the oil filter housing and starter off to get the headers in. I like your engine color choice!

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Very cool engine swap.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Go with the Hedman if you want full length. The Flowtech headers rust fast, fit like sh*t with thin flanges. Sanderson and Thornton make shorty's that fit as well. The Hedman shorties are more mid length that do fit but need very tight bends or the exhaust will hang low.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I like his engine colour choice, the carb choice is more questionable. There are many my Olds 350 runs like sh*t threads, many have the Edelbrock carb, some a retarded amount of time tuning and still run bad. Hopefully you have better luck. There have been quite a few El Camino's with Olds 350's lately, I like it a lot.

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
I guess I will spend the extra $50 and go with the Hedman's. Thank for all your input. As for the color, it was just the closest to Olds gold I could find at auto zone. As for the carb, I saw plenty of good reviews for the AVS2 - I wanted to go with a quadrajet - but decided against it for whatever reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah hopefully the AV2 is the improvement they claim. For an aftermarket carb, either a Quickfuel for a Holley style or a Street Demon for a Carter based carb. What size is the Edelbrock? What are the specs on your 350?

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
So it has forged aluminum flat top pistons, 2" intake and 1.65" exhaust, Performer RPM intake, HEI, the Comp Cam XE268H-10 which is .485/.490 lift with 268/280 duration, 850 CFM Edelbrock AVS2, ARP bolts, and a high volume oil pump. I think that is it.

I regret going with the flat top pistons, I should have gone lower compression, but I didn't know the impact higher compression has until after I had already installed them. Rookie move on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor