Headers for Pontiac 400 in an 87 Grand Prix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYoung43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2010
I mentioned this in another post, but not directly questioned to you guys. Someone told me I could use 68-72 GTO headers if I bang the firewall a bit. I wanted to see if anyone has used "Hedman 35260" for this combo. I could get cheaper smaller tube headers but since I plan on a lot of racing and a roller cam good to 6500RPM, I want to go with the 1-3/4 primary tubes. Anyway, I'd appreciate knowing what brands and part numbers have worked for you guys that run Pontiac engines in the 78-87 G-bodies.

TIA, Brad

BYoung43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2010
If I'm gonna do metal work, I think I'd rather bash the firewall a bit and cut/ weld a tube from the long headers. I didn't know the shorties cost more than the full length did either. For the cost and then haveing to fab on something new, I'll get the full length 1-3/4 tubes. Thanks for the info though..... BTW, the Hedman 28150 for the firebird looks like they might just fit....

Brad

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I "custom" built my headers out of a old set of headers I bought off of craigs'list. Biggest MF'ing mistake I made. I have 30+ hours in them. The headman headers you are talking about won't fit. The one side with the open area and the big 90 degree bent tube towards the back looks somewhat close, but I'll bet the space it created just before the 90 degree bent part at the back, it's too far towards the rear. In any case the cheap route is aftermarket reproduction Ram Air exhaust manifolds from ram air restorations. $400+ for 2 1/2 collector flange. If that's not good enough PM Shotgun. He knows someone who builds them for around $700-$750 I believe. It's hard getting around the lower A-frames and making the tight bends up to the Pontiac heads. I still had to run a remote oil filter on mine as well. Another $150 in pressure lines to do that.

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
The shorty headers on my car are part of the third or fourth exhaust system I've put on it in the 15 or so years that I've owned it. I decided to go the shorty route because of past experiences similar to Safariwagon's, in addition to ground clearance problems. I didn't want a headache, I wanted something straightforward and simple that would perform well. I almost went the Ram Air manifold route, but I wanted 3" collectors and I was pretty sure I could make the shorties work. They have been rather maintenance free since I put them in, and my ground clearance problems disappeared.

I don't know of an inexpesive solution to this problem, but if you find one, please post it. I wish one of the exhaust manufacturers would make something for Pontiac-powered G bodies, but if they did they probably wouldn't sell more than a handfull of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor