Headers for the GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

atozracing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2007
Arizona
I didn't post this on the General Discussion, cause this is JUST a Pontiac question. It is a little long but bear with me.

We are putting in the GP the old motor and trans from the GTO. It is a 455 and th400, it has many miles (drove this for 75k before taking it to the track) and lots and lots of passes, but I maintained it better than the tow vehicle. Last passes in the GTO (3450 lbs) were 12.59, 12.58, 12.59, 12.57 (getting cooler as the night went on) 12.57, 12.56 (red lite .004 ended the nite). The motor and trans are a little tired but will work very well for my wife in the sportsman class until we get her new motor finished. The GP is lighter, so she should go a little faster.

What headers fit the Gbody with a traditional Pontiac????? I have too many Pontiac parts to start putting chevy stuff in the car now. I have looked all over for headers, and can't find any. Don't want to put stock manifolds back on, but might have to. Do the A-body or the F-body work in the G-body???? Anyone do this swap before??? Help !!!!!!!

Thanks,

Rick

dirty joe

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2006
405 okc
well, indian adventures (chief many horses) make headers for this swap. also, i modified a set of a-body headers to fit a 455 in my 79 gp. the number 6 cylinder header tube needs to be modified around the rear, lower control arm frame mount. and then, the number 5 cylinder header tube hits the firewall. you can either modify the header tube, or cut a hole in the firewall and box it in, and modify your gas pedal to get it to clear.

atozracing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2007
Arizona
Did some research and found that Hedman makes some shorty headers for the traditional Pontiac. The pictures that they have of them on their site look like they would fit the G-Body. If anyone has tried them please let me know.

grant's prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2007
Great White North
headers

I used repro RAIII - HPP mag said they flow the same as 3 tube. Never had a problem and they are a perfect fit - in the car for 14 years now. They do make 2 1/2 outlet now too.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
It seems that IA has gone nuts up.
Looks like you can do what Dirty Joe suggests,Ram Airs or make your own.

DSM

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Michigan
I'm using Hedman 3-tube headers for a 69 Firebird on my 85 GP with a 400 in it. A little bit of clearancing here and there, but no tubes need to be moved. They aren't the greatest headers from a performance standpoint either, but if nothing else they wiegh less than HO manifolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor