headers over exhaust help

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu-man400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2011
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, what is the difference or what make headers better than the regular stock exhaust. Is there a preference to which a car should have?,if so, why? Does headers make the car sound a little bit meaner or is there ways to mod that?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Headers a better designed at flowing than stock manifolds. So they make the engine run more efficient, which will make more power and give better fuel economy. I think on a stock build the difference would be very small, if anything.

As for what a car should have, it depends on a lot. Lot's of people have continuous problems with gasket leaks. If they are long tubes, lowering can cause problems. I would say (and I'm not an expert lol) unless you have 350-400+ HP then manifolds would be just fine.

And for the sound. I have heard a few cars that had headers put on, and kept the same exhaust system. And yes, it does sound different (better) than the manifolds.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Manifolds are much cheaper to make than headers, that's why most cars leave the factory that way, good headers are often a cheap and easy way to improve a cars performance - both power & economy. Certainly that was the case when I first took an interest in engine tuning on the little 4 pot engines in British cars of the '70s. Any tuning guide recommended upgrading the exhaust as a first step, some engines responded better than others, minis would typically see an increase of 10 bhp from a manifold change -from 38 to 48 bhp - enough to power a th400!
Most people who fit headers like their car to be a bit louder, since the rest of the exhaust system often needs to be modified or replaced it's a good time to fit one that gives the desired sound.
I prefer my car to be as near silent as I can get it, headers can work well with this, a good exhaust fabricator can make a quiet system with little or no performance restrictions. The downside is it will cost more, mufflers are more expensive than straight pipes, particularly good ones.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
like the above said.... on a stock or mild performance build it doesnt really matter.

but you still need some back pressure and the primary tube size has a long to do with it. you dont need a crazy big primary unless you are pushing that kinda cfm out the exhaust.

I know flowtechs sound good and are cheap and arent bad to install. some headers create interfence with other parts such as linkage and or the oil filter etc...

I had flow tech years ago. they sounded good and were like $120 at the time.

now i have hooker headers with a larger primary but im pushing more power so its needed. and they sound good i guess. havent really listened to them since i got dumps on the car.

ohh i like 2 1/2 exhaust with 2 chamber 40 series flow masters but thats just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor