Headers Wont Tighten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esotericnem

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2007
I have Headers (No clue what size, type, etc.) on my Olds 350 that I tried tightening over and over but theres still a leak between the manifold and headers. I put 1 gasket, that didn't work, 2 gaskets, still doesn't work.....any suggestions?

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Remove the headers and place the flange on a known flat surface. Is it bent? If not, then check the length of bolts, make sure they are long enough. And try it again. Sounds like they r either bent at the flange from overtightening or a bad weld where the tube seals against the gasket. Ultra Copper may work temp, but won't be permanent. I've done it b4 at the collector end and I still would burn it out. Stock engines will handle it a little better, though.

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
85t5mcss said:
Ultra Copper may work temp, but won't be permanent. I've done it b4 at the collector end and I still would burn it out. Stock engines will handle it a little better, though.

Used to blow out header gaskets on my 500+ hp 406 all the time.
After using ultra copper, never blew another one.

Esotericnem said:
I have Headers (No clue what size, type, etc.) on my Olds 350 that I tried tightening over and over but theres still a leak between the manifold and headers. I put 1 gasket, that didn't work, 2 gaskets, still doesn't work.....any suggestions?
try these they may solve your problem.
http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/80.htm

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The headers shouldn't leak even with cheap gaskets if they are built and installed properly, so you'd better figure out the problem before spending big bucks on special gaskets.

First, have you checked the header flanges for flatness? Some headers have a weld bead around each port in the flange to provide a little extra clamping force. If your have the beads, check for nicks, gaps, and unevenness. Verify that the welds between the pipes and the flanges are in good shape and do not have gaps, pinholes, slag, or inclusions. Look closely for any residue that might indicate an exhaust leak.

Check the length of the bolts you're using to attach the headers to the motor. If they're too long, they can bottom out before the header is properly clamped.

Check the heads. Be sure the mating surface is flat and not pitted. Check that all gasket residue has been removed.

Finally, check that you have the correct headers and gaskets. Some later 307 motors used tiny exhaust ports and normal gaskets and headers won't seal properly. I suspect the opposite is also true - tiny port gaskets and headers probably won't seal on early 350 ports.

Assuming all this checks out good, get a quality set of embossed copper gaskets and reinstall. Get the motor hot and retorque the header bolts. Check frequently (at least every couple of weeks).

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
How thick are the header flanges? If they are less than 3/8 in thick, they probably will never seal right because they can't support the clamping force needed to seal properly. I had an old set of cheap headers do this on my AMC. I swapped to a set of Hooker Super Comps and the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor