Headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
hey guys, I have an 86 SS El Camino with the stock 305. I was thinking about getting headers, but I didnt know what kind to get. After a little homework, Ive decided on getting shorty headers, stainless, 1 5/8in, with a 2.5in collector. I plan on getting a 350 to replace this 305, and I know that the headers are interchangeable, so I should be good there. I was on summit, picking out my headers, when I came across something I didnt know: do I have square exhaust ports or circular ones? I needed to know so that the gasket would match up. Does anyone know what shape they are so I can go ahead and buy them? Thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Typically the ports on most older Gen 1 SBC are a square port with rounded corners, I would personally want to match the ports to your future 350 swap engine since that will the one that stays so it will depend on what heads will be on that engine.
Most header tubes for SBC will be round or oval which work fine but the main thing is to make sure the header tubes do not block the exhaust port and sometimes it will take measuring and research on your part to get the best fitting header gasket for your application there are many different sizes and shapes so the gasket is never a one size fits all deal.
I recently bought some stainless full length headers off Ebay for a great price but they came with an oval port that was much larger than the d-port on my SBC Edelbrock heads I considered welding them to make them round but with some research found a copper gasket from Flatout Gaskets that fit the mismatch perfectly

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Thanks 565bbchevy, I'll do some more research about my future 350. I don't have a lot of mechanical experience, but the headers should be a sort of "one size fits all" deal, right? It's the gasket that really has to match up is what I thought, so if I did end up buying 2 separate sets of gaskets (one for my 305 and another for the 350), then as long as they matched up with the headers themselves, I'd be fine?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That is correct buy the gaskets that fit your current 305 ports and make sure the headers match up and seal correctly if the 350 has the same style and size ports than you could replace with the same gaskets, my personal preference is embossed copper gaskets but the SBC Flatout copper gaskets I just bought are flat since the embossed part would have caused sealing issues.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
I've seen some pretty interesting Header buys on ebay- Which ones?

Mine is the 81 4.4 V8 with stock heads~ any insight accessories? ~ Clearance?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since my Regal is more of a budget build I was looking for inexpensive headers but at the same time I wanted some that look good at were either ceramic coated or stainless and the name brands are way out of budget so these are the ones I bought, I have not installed them yet but before I bought them I compared the tube routing to a Hooker 2451(Chevy V8 - Gbody) and they look like an exact copy the only difference is the oval port instead of round port on the Hookers so I don't expect too many fitment issues as I have installed the Hookers many times in big and small block applications and I have resolved the port issue with the gaskets I mentioned earlier.
Also a magnet will not stick to these headers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-CHEVY-S...TUBE-HEADER-/201439116135?hash=item2ee6b4fb67

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
There are better look'n than those shorties I've seen just for over $100++

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
One thing to remember -- what you pay is what you get. Headers are an important engine component and they must fit well. Also, some "cheapies" are made in China (knock-offs of brand names), but the metal is cheap and thin and won't last long. The last thing you want is to have to redo your project a few years from now.

I've got Hooker Super Competition ceramic-coated headers; 2" primary with 3.5" collector (#2241-1) and I'm very satisfied. Just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor