Headliner board 'filler'

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I have my headliner board out to recover w/ fabric. I've made the usual fixes at the corners but there are divots in the foam in a few places, mostly near the back window (from an attempted 'fix') but there's one near the dome light. The foam backed fabric might hide it but to be safe I might fill it. Anything recommended... maybe just some silicone caulk?

Also, I scotchbrited off all remnants of the foam padding, and vacuumed well. What's safe to wipe the whole thing down with? Alcohol maybe?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the foam on the back side of the new material should bridge those small spots.ive used super glue to fill the board before.it melts into the board unlike that silicone would.

Reactions: 1 users

464ChillerTech

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2022
I have my headliner board out to recover w/ fabric. I've made the usual fixes at the corners but there are divots in the foam in a few places, mostly near the back window (from an attempted 'fix') but there's one near the dome light. The foam backed fabric might hide it but to be safe I might fill it. Anything recommended... maybe just some silicone caulk?

Also, I scotchbrited off all remnants of the foam padding, and vacuumed well. What's safe to wipe the whole thing down with? Alcohol maybe?
Not sure about a cleaner but to cover holes or reinforce you could use foil tape like the kind that is used for hvac ducting. It sticks to pretty much anything, is rigid and when the roof gets hot it won’t let go. many times I’ve glued foam over the top of it for insulating ductwork with spray adhesives.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I've used regular cheap bondo.
20221003_141155.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I like the flexible spot putty for the plastic bumpers and the like.

Reactions: 1 user

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I used foil tape to piece back together the front corners and one back corner. Flexible spot putty... I like that, cheap and easy. And I'll probably foil over that just to be safe. Thanks all!

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Just a word of caution: When working the side that will face the cabin, be careful that these repairs are smooth, follow the contours of, and feather-edged with the surrounding surface. Although most headliner material is foam backed, any imperfections will show thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor