Hello from Ohio !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnychrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2012
Northeast Ohio, USA
Hi all, I'm Johnny from the greater Cleveland Ohio area.
I have loved the A/G body GM since I was a kid. My first car was a 78 Olds Cutlass Salon that was literally my Grandma's car. It had a 260ci V8. I made the sleeper of the decade out of it running two 403's, a 350 rocket, and a 455 respectively as they tanked the next went in. I was young and beat the living pi$$ out of all of the engines of course. I loved the fact that most guys couldn't tell the difference betheen small block and big block olds engines (or std and tall deck, however they are refered to) so all of them lived under olds silvery green paint, big air cleaner housings (even made a dual snorkle that looked factory for the 455), etc. headers were the only obvious tell but the circle of guys I hung out with and street raced with we'd open the hoods about 4" and give "peeks" (don't touch my car and no in depth 5 minute looks with maglights). Just a look. ya want to know more ya gotta pony up $$$. If ya win, ya get to look under the hood and get my $$$... if ya loose... no look, see ya next time, bring another hundred bucks! (minimum) That was the late 80s.
My best pal had a 81 Malibu 2 door with a 267ci. nothing special. We always talked about dropping in a 454 but it never happened. We both just loved those cars.
I didn't know then about things like internal and external ballencing of engines and on the fourth olds engine swap and a whole bunch of parts floating around,,,, can ya see where this was heading? Well I didn't until the crank broke in front of the #1 main but behind the cam drive sprocket!
I had zero (extra) cash and already had another daily driver so a very generous offer from a guy was on my dart team took the ' Salon off my hands. :( The new oner had a Gbodied Pontiac that had rotted to pieces around a decent 301 (if ever there was such a thing) so the swap was made and the olds went back to daily duty and eventually succomed to the north coast winters and salt. If only I hadn't known everything at 19 or 20 or whatever the heck I was at the time. I'd give a pretty penny to have that car back now.

Johnnychrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2012
Northeast Ohio, USA
Anyway that was my intro to the great A/G body by GM ^^^
I'm sure ya want to hear what's shakin' now tho'? HUH?
I traded a show bike of mine for this nice 78 Pro Street Monte Carlo.
I needed to be able to take my kids (5&6 yrs old) with me.
it wasn't happening on the bike... soooo... I traded!
Anyway, I'll quit smackin' and post up.
That seems to be a popular request on these "N@@B" meet and greet pages.
I see a lot of "WE LIKE PICTURES" so here ya go.

I AM going to split these up a bit so that if y'all want to talk about them and repost them there doesn't have to be page after page of ALL of them repeated, just the ones we are refering to.

0916111934.jpg

0916111934b.jpg

0916111832.jpg

0813111958-1.jpg

Interior. I canned the race buckets that were in it for a more kid friendly bench (86 Suburban!)

Johnnychrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2012
Northeast Ohio, USA
Look A/C!!! :rofl: (a "Truckers" fan, 2 speed!)
0813111957.jpg

Door pannels, kick pannels and headliner are all one off.
0813111958c.jpg

0813111959.jpg

I did a "quickie" mod or two at first just so I could drive it (I'm not small and I had to make it ez to get in and out)
0820110137a.jpg

Johnnychrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2012
Northeast Ohio, USA
What ya want next? Engine? Okay.
0922111548.jpg

0922111547c.jpg

0916111420d.jpg

0916111420b.jpg

0916111420.jpg

Johnnychrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2012
Northeast Ohio, USA
100_6257.jpg

I have many little things that I am fixing ot tweaking to suit me.
(some of the list may wait and get done over te summer)

but for the most part by this spring the car is getting:

(in no particular order)

bigger fuel cell (than current 8gal) with sender for guage
fuel delivery system upgrade, pump and -8 line
Weiand Hi-Ram tunnel ram manifold (polished)
pair of Holley 650cfm HP Ultra carburetors
street scoop or velocity stacks
MSD crank trigger flying magnet pick up
MSD short crab cap crank trigger dist.
MSD two step
MSD adjustable timing retard (in car)
manual brake conversion (no vacuum anyway)
electronic exhaust cut outs
upgrade trans. cooler lines
wipers reinstalled
stage lock
wheelie bars
parachute (okay.. it's for looks at this point)
emergency batt disconnect
external charging lugs
alum. wing off the deck lid
outside door mirrors
replace faulty door "popper" solenoid
fab proper top rad. mounts
braided brake line upgrade
replace junk hood hinges
new/used hood- either flat or cowl with hole for T/R
drop spindles
groved cross drilled rotor/ball joints/front bearings/seals
tube upper control arms (THANK YOU Gbodyparts.com)
(the car has been set down from wheelstands real hard once or twice so
before I go out and do it I'm replacing the important stuff... you know the parts that hold the wheels on!!!)

THE END
For tonight anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor