Help identifying ECM - '85 GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert85HotAir

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2022
I'm a noob and just picked up an '85 GN. Previous owner didn't give me much info and I'm trying to figure out if the ECM in the car has been upgrades or swapped with an 86/87.

There is an upgraded MAF installed which makes me think maybe it was. I'm having no luck with the old google machine.

Can anyone tell me if this is a stock 85 ecm or if it has been swapped?

Thank you thank you.

-Bert.
ECM.jpg
ECM 2.jpg

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm a noob and just picked up an '85 GN. Previous owner didn't give me much info and I'm trying to figure out if the ECM in the car has been upgrades or swapped with an 86/87.

There is an upgraded MAF installed which makes me think maybe it was. I'm having no luck with the old google machine.

Can anyone tell me if this is a stock 85 ecm or if it has been swapped?

Thank you thank you.

-Bert. View attachment 194800 View attachment 194802
Service number 1227148 ecm checks as 86-87 version.

The chip in it could be anything, that you'd need to check separately.

Google "1227148 ecm" and you can get more info

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Weird. 1985 doesn't use this controller as a service replacement at all. From what I understand, there's a few things "different" between 85 controllers and 86-up.

Not fluent in Buicks at all, but the info I've found for it is 86-87 ATH, 86 TK, 86 CMW

The PROM is the only thing that matters, in reality. And not sure what that would be. "Calpak" should be stamped 16036504, but carries the part number in the catalog of 16036503 for a turbo VIN 9.

Some turbo head should be able to chime in here.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Bert, from your pictures, it appears the ECM is a stock Buick version. I base that assessment on two black blade-style connectors and the early/slow EPROMs (chips). These ECM have very slow processors--classified as 60-baud (cycles per second) and the EPROMs are hard to work with (as in erase and reprogram) let alone find new ones. My recommendation is to go over to the site...gearheadEFI.com to ask for assistance and learn as much as you want regarding ECMs.

While I may know just enough to be dangerous, be forewarned, as all the stuff the guys will throw at you will make you head spin! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor