Help - questions on headers, exhaust, ect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Hi everyone! As summer winds down (say it isn't so!!) I'm starting to put together plans for the next phase in the restoration of my 1986 Olds 442 - the engine. Over the next week or so, I'll be looking to purchase parts like headers, exhaust, and related items. The stock 307HO is still in the car factory stock and untouched - for now. I'm looking for suggestions from those of you who have already made these modifications -

1. Headers?? Everyone seems to like the Hedmanns, but my mechanic said that they may not fit my car and there may be modification of some mounts underneath required.
2. Exhaust?? I'm looking to lose the cats, and go straight pipes off the headers, back to Flowmaster mufflers on either side, and side exit the exhaust on the stock spot behind the rear wheels. Any thoughts? I've always been a Borla fan but I can't break the bank here - any thoughts on Magnaflow or am I good with Flowmasters? I want a nice classic musclecar sound.
3. Carb/Intake/ect?? Should I even make any changes here or keep stuff as-is and re-build the Q-Jet? I've had people telling me Edelbrock carb and intake, Holly, and one tells me not to even touch it at all.
4. Recommendations on Shocks? I priced out Monroes but I know a lot of you like KYB as well.
5. Tires. BFG or Cooper (or something else?) I've always liked BFG.

Anything I'm missing? I'd love to know what you guys & gals have done and especially what not to do! I don't need super hi track worthy performance I'm not going to race it although it would be fun to smoke a ricer in a Honda now and then.

Have a safe Labor Day weekend!

AL

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
No offense to you....but I think the reason you arent getting a lot of replies is simply because these questions can be answered by doing a bit of searching and reading in the topics you are concerned about. If you have specific questions, ask those....but general questions like these have been discussed countless times and I am sure with very little searching, you can find more info than you would imagine or need. Give the search a try.....you wont be disappointed :D

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Headers - I recently installed a set of Hedmans on my Olds... They seem to be pretty decent quality and fit without any issues or modifications.

Mufflers - Well I had Flowmaster 44's and liked them, but I got tired of the interior resonance. They were also too loud when cruising. So I went with some Dynomax Turbos and am a lot happier. Nice mellow rumble at idle, but sounds great when you get into it. But muffler choice is really your preference. Its all about what sound YOU are looking for.

Carb/Intake - If the car is running fine, I would say don't mess with it for now...

Shocks - Any shocks are going to be better than some worn out 30 year old shocks... But KYB's are good... Ive got Gabriel Ultra's on my car. Just because I didn't want to spend that much on shocks at the time...

Tires - I would say BFG Radial T/A's... But really any white letter tire will give your car a nice look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor