Help the Automotively Challenged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

areibel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2012
Cambridge Springs PA
Hello!
OK, first I've got to admit it- I know very little about GM G bodies (I'm actually a Mopar guy- don't hate me!) But my wife's 84 Cutlass Calais has been sitting in my garage for way too many years, so I gotta learn what I need and where to find it, this looks like a good place!

I'm Al, I live in northhwestern PA (yeah, the rust belt). The car is defintely a keeper, my wife has owned it longer than she's owned me? It's a buckets/ console/ T top car with the 3.8 v-6, it gave us years of great service. The problem now is rust! Back in the day her dad used a couple bags of fertilizer in the trunk for weight during the winter, the trunk floor is gone from the drivers side quarter to the center. And the rear frame is bad on both sides, that's why we originally parked the car. It needs a lot, but I'm hoping to get it all back together again.

I went through the Knowledge Base in the tech forum (yup, all 22 pages) and several of my questions were answered- I need to find a frame from an 84-87 Cutlass/Regal/ Monte or Grand Prix? And I'm guessing that if the frames are the same the floorpans and trunk floors are interchangable (I'm thinking my life would be easier if I could find a complete donor car). I guess the first question is about sheet metal- is there much reproduced for these cars? I read about Goodmark in one thread, I'm a little hesitant about using their stuff (their Mopar stuff leaves a lot to be desired, a bad experience on my part). IS NOS sheetmetal still available? I haven't really torn the car apart yet, I'd like to round up at least the frame before I make a mess but I want to get the car moved out and ready to go.
And interior stuff, how about OEM seat upholstery, interior trim, etc? I'm guessing again, carpet shouldn't be a problem but the other soft stuff?

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Al

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
Re: Help the Aautomotively Challenged!

hey al. sounds like yah got a project on your hands, well they sell alot of stuff on ebay i seen complete frame,i would check Craigslist for any parts, you never know you might find a doner car. i got new fenders for my from browns,they are out os michigan.and were after market. i think there were about 70.00 a piece. i also seen today a guy on ebay was selling replacement rear quarters. as far as interior parts check the for sale section. and seat covers check http://www.gbodyparts.com. i am going to be buying new black rear and front seat covers my self. just do some checking around you will find what your looking for.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

Keep an eye on our "For Sale" section. Also, we do have some repro Cutlass/Regal parts in the works right now. I don't know exactly when they'll have them ready for sale but I'm sure there will be a post here about it when they are:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34707

areibel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2012
Cambridge Springs PA

Thanks guys!
That last thread looks like my timing might be good (for once!). I was hoping that there was someone like AMD repopping sheetmetal, it looks like it's heading that way. And 307, I like your Regal. I can remember drooling over a T Type at the Cleveland Auto Show back then, she was a beauty! I've always liked the style, especially the GN's, and I've got a friend with a Buick fetish that has a GNX in his stable- what a car!

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
You can get a frame from any 78-88 gbody (cutlass, regal, monte, Malibu, grnd prix, lemans, grand am) or you could just weld in some rust free rear frame rails. Trunk floor should be the interchangeable 78-88 also. If you can't find a parts car, go to a pull a part type place with a cordless sawzall and some good batteries and cut out the trunk pan and rear frame sections, they wouldn't charge much. Good luck, any pics of it?

areibel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2012
Cambridge Springs PA
RITTER said:
I have a complete, rust free, frame sitting in my basement :mrgreen:

Do you deliver! LOL!

I was tempted to just head south and buy a whole car to haul back up here, but time wise work keeps me tied down. I've checked the big "automotive recycling centers" but if it's more than 10-12 years old it's a Toyota by now. I've got a couple suggestions for some real old time junkyards, I'll have to start beating the bushes and see what I can find close first.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Al!
Welcome to the forum. We won't hold it against you for being a Mopar fan at heart... :lol:
At any rate. You can try Car-part.com. http://www.car-part.com/ You type in your car and what part, or parts you're looking for.
It will indicate the closest salvage yard and price. Worth giving it a shot.
The frame rails are available form Conrad Lozier up in Ontario, Canada http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/
He's about the only person that reproduces rear GM frame rails. He does a top notch job as well.

areibel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2012
Cambridge Springs PA
RITTER said:
I don't know what you're willing to pay, but I will ship it if you're interested :friday:

Yeah, that's always my problem- a lot of the stuff I'm looking for costs more to ship than it costs. But Longroof's link for the yard search engine already kicked out a possibility- an 85 Monte Carlo frame only about 30 miles away! I'll have to take a ride and check it out but the price ($550 for a roller) beats the only other quote I have- $800 plus shipping for a bare frame from one of the local entrepreneurs that hauls southern sheetmetal up here for us desperate types.
This one is already apart too, so I can look it over good. And with a little luck they'll have the trunk floor in decent shape too.
Cross your fingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor