Help with 81 El Camino build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without having read the replies, I will give you some advice as i have been in your position many times.

My position will not necessarily be the same as yours as i most of the times havent had a stationary place to store it while restoring them. Alas.

My builds goes something like this:

If the car cant move by itself, this is the first thing i fix. Get the engine running abd the trans shifting. I dont put much effort into tuning, if any, as getting it running is required so i can move it around as the work progress.

With the car able to move by itself, i take it apart and fix the exterior rust

Then i paint it.

Put it back together.

And, this one varies a little. But i swap the engine and trans to prefered combination.

Make a custom exhaust

Replace all bushings, especially the body bushings. Springs shocks etc.

Fix the brakes and steering.

Tune the car and get an inspection so it's allowed to drive on the road.

Work on the interior if needed.

And by the time i've done this, i've thought about selling it a few times and build something cooler. And thought about 1000 projects to do to it also.

Ymmv

My first frame off resto mod elco build cost me over $70K all said and done. I won't tell you how much #2 was or the Grand National is getting. It all depends on your budget and how far you want to take it.

I'll just leave these here (i take pictures of my builds every step of the way)...

p7.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

... but i also tend to get powder coat crazy - I even did my bumper shocks and they aren't even on the car. haha Do it right the first time and don't ever waste money doing it again.

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

333.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor