Help with identifying the two

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackBuck!

n00b
Jun 9, 2022
Hey, guys new to the forum looking to purchase el Camino. What’s the difference between 79 and a 83

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
2 headlights vs 4
grille
fender marker lights
dash, gauge cluster, and dash speaker
door mirrors
engine options
trim options (Black Knight, Royal Knight)
1978 is an oddball for the front spindles/rotors so if you're planning on keeping it stock.....
1978 had different taillights than the rest of them

really it boils down to do you prefer the look of 4 or 2 headlights, and the gauge cluster. the 78-82 also have more options when it comes to engines, and rear diff ratios. just depends on what you're going to do with it

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
1654817767238.png

1654817831978.png

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the antennas are in the windshield in the older vs on the fender in the later

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I can only imagine the commercial for the Royal Knight.
"Did you just go to the drive-in theater last night and see Smokey and the Bandit and now want to get a 6.6 Trans Am just to find out you'll never be able to afford one?
Well let me introduce you to "The Royal Knight". It's way cheaper, way slower and you won't have to worry about it being a chick magnet. Plus it has a pickup bed just like grandpa's truck. Come down to your nearest Chevrolet Dealer and get yours today.

Welcome to the GBodyForum!
I personally like the '83 El Camino (and wagon) front end better than the earlier version. The gauges, interior and Sideview mirrors are also more appealing as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor