help with lq4 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpt87gn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2012
I just picked my dream car an 87 Buick T that was originally equipped with a v8 and my plans are to put an lq4 or lq9 in it with the matching trans . I'm looking to buy the motor and trans with the wiring harness and CPU . Will this motor and trans work?
2005 LQ4 6.0 and 4l80e transmission . 100,000 miles . Will this trans work .. or what is the best motor to use year ? I'm looking for the easiest swap and yes I'm on a major budget. :D
It wouldn't let me post pictures of the car

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
That engine is drive by wire (dbw). You can take the truck pedal or by a new car pedal from psiconversion.com Or convert to drive by cable(dbc).

87_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2014
Glassboro, NJ
You can use the pedal that most drop out engines come with, or change the throttle body over to an earlier year that is cable driven. As far as the trans goes the only issue I can foresee is drive shaft length and either relocating the trans crossmber or buying the new one all ls swap kits come with. I did a trans swap in a 86 monte ss I had. I put a 700r4 in after my 200 took a dive. And that's the issues I had. The drive shaft had to be shortened and I made a bracket to support the trans to the crossmember. Let me know how the swap goes. I plan on doing a lq4 swap next winter but use a 700r4 and make it carbureted.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
If your on a major budget just throw a darn carb on it... the fuel system is what's going to get ya.. Especially if you do it right

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you live in a strict emissions testing area, a carb conversion on a LS won't pass testing. Factory LS cams aren't really suited for carbs anyway with their wide lobe center angle which is true of any EFI cam. Best way to go is pull everything from the donor car, or even buy a donor car to pull everything out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor