help with sbc 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

black86442

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2011
dayton ohio
Yeah i think ill just start over and give it another shot. Its just frustrating after putting a motor together and it just wont run right. Makes me second guess ever nut and bolt. Ive put other sbc motors together but ive never had problems like this.

Rocket

Greasemonkey
Oct 18, 2011
Reserve Mines, NS
just because the gears for the timing chain are lined up dot to dot doesn't mean they are right...there's been plenty of times these are marked wrong, a degree wheel should be used to be sure they are accurate.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Dot to dot is fine. It will run 180 out but like sh*t. If you find dist to be in correct check to make sure the vacumn advance is not putting to much timing in. Also check the spring in dist they also could be to light and bringing timing in to soon. I had simular problems before and found adv was coming in way to soon and it was getting way to much full timing. Installed heavier springs and removed vacumn car ran great. Good luck.

black86442

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2011
dayton ohio
thats pretty much what ive aslo narrowed it down too. im gonna check the timing too see if it is comming in too fast and aslo gonna check my cam to crank timing. thank you everyone for the help and ill update tomorow on how things go.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
chevy2480 said:
It will run 180 out but like sh*t.

I have never seen one run at all 180* out. Maybe hit a few times but that's about it. It would be trying to fire towards the end of the exhaust stroke so most of the mixture would be in the exhaust, and the exhaust valve would be open causing a lot of backfiring. But there is no way it would idle on it's own and rev just fine with light throttle input if it was 180* out.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
jrm81bu said:
chevy2480 said:
It will run 180 out but like sh*t.

I have never seen one run at all 180* out. Maybe hit a few times but that's about it. It would be trying to fire towards the end of the exhaust stroke so most of the mixture would be in the exhaust, and the exhaust valve would be open causing a lot of backfiring. But there is no way it would idle on it's own and rev just fine with light throttle input if it was 180* out.
I would agree but i seen it happen one time. But never again. Either way i dont think that is his problem anyway.

black86442

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2011
dayton ohio
Update i found the problem. It was a junk distributor. I i started checking it and it had way too much playso i pulled it out found one laying around the shop stuck her in and wa-laa fixed. I still need a power valve from mutiple back fires. But its weird my last motor ran great with the same dizzy and all i did was pull it out and set it on the bench and stuck it in the new motor. It runs great now besides the blown powerr valve. Its a monster between 3000 to 5500rpm. Thanks for all the help.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Glad to hear it buddy. How was the distributor loose? Was it up and down at the gear? I ask because sometimes, very rarely, they need to be shimmed. That couple possibly explain why it worked good on one engine and not on another. This is rare though. But again, glad its fixed, go tear the streets up.

black86442

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2011
dayton ohio
Yeah it was up and down play. I still have some bugs in it but it runs pretty good. With no stall converter its a dog under 2500 haha but after that its not too bad. Wasnt as impresed as i thought id be but its on the road agian :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor