help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sszewczuk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2010
Found an 87 442 in absolute mint condition with only 30 K original miles. One owner. 8k

I always liked these cars and really would like to purchase-- so here lies the dilema.

Old car vs new? Its 24 years old and although in great shape, can I realistically expect to drive it for many years to come? I would drive it daily- weather permitting, because I just feel cars should be driven.

Can I get parts for it, if I need to?
Also, gas mileage vs new car mileage. Posted mpg on the original sheet says 18/25-- I know it depends on many conditions.

Forget a small car-- just dont like em- and dont feel they are safe.

What do you guys think?

TEST DRIVE IT! if you like it buy it.
if you dont like it buy it anyway and put a big block in it and sell it.

deathproof said:
TEST DRIVE IT! if you like it buy it.
if you dont like it buy it anyway and put a big block in it and sell it.

you use yours as a daily?
is gas an issue as far as mpg?

I have an 83 cutlass as my daily. I love it and it gets a sh*t ton of looks.

YES. $30-40 bucks a week six miles (give or take) to work and back. I don't mind, it's how i have fun in between.
gotta find a way to make stop signs interesting.

Don't take this the wrong way but you shouldn't be buying a rare low mile show car to use as a daily driver...
Yes parts aren't easy to come by because just about everything has been discontinued from GM and the advertised MPG is not accurate. You'll most likely get 15 MPG around town.
Theres a lot you can buy in a Gbody that already has performance mods, that you'll probably wind up doing anyway, with $8,000 and not booger up something that should be preserved.
This thread makes me wanna :puke:

i drive my stock 307 86 cutlass as a daily and the mpg sucks and its not powerful eventhough its a v8 (old v8 with emissions dont compare to new cars ) a brand new 4 banger would take me out so i had to choose new car vs old i would take the new one in a heartbeat but keep mine in the side as a weekend or project car and new cars even though they are small theyre alot safer than older cars and alot more technology like abs air bags all that ... just watch this video so u get what am talking bout 59 belair vs 08 malibu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptUrQOMPs
i dont know how to embed on here

this one is better it shows the inside of belair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGN ... re=related

I can give a live and learn experience. I bought an '83 Hurst Olds with 24k miles and it was going to be the daily driver I dreamed about 20 years ago in high school. Well, long story short, I bought the car, flew to Florida to pick it up, and on the 2700 mile vacation/return trip I decided there is NO way I can drive this car as my daily driver so I am still driving my wrecked '94 Buick Lesabre and drive my H/O whenever it is nice.
I am going to buy a decent Cutlass for my Daily soon (after we move to our new place on 10 acres and a better shop), but I have decided it won't be a limited car like a 442 or H/O. I am gonna buy a vanilla Cutlass then fix it up how I want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor