HELP !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carsten

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2009
DORTMUND , Germany
I still do not know , why there are 2 thin cables on the starter of my 1979 Olds Cutlass supreme??????? :idea:
Want to change to a high torque ministarter this weekend and do not know why there are 2 cables ( one thick + cable i know , it is directly connected to the battery).
All cars i had before only had 1 cable directed to the solenoid(??) , the smaller part on the starter !
So , for what is the second cable???
Thank you for any help !!!
Carsten

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I believe that is where the fuse box gets power from.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Does your car have points or electronic ignition? I would guess electronic as it was standard fare on all US GM cars after 1974. As for the wiring, There should be one small wire running to the "S" terminal of the solenoid (energized when the key is turned to the start position only) a large gauge cable running from the solenoid to the battery, and one or more small gauge wires running from the battery post on the solenoid to the fuse panel. The large gauge post on the starter is what is also sometimes referred to as the Main Terminal Bus for the whole car. All power originates from that point and flows to that point as well. The alternator sends it's power to that post and the left overs charge the battery. Now, all of the smaller gauge wires running to the starter are fusible links that will blow like a fuse in case of a short or overload to protect the car from electrical fires. This is not the whole length of the wire, but just the first few inches. The same is true for the wires coming off the post on the back of the alternator. This is a standard practice in almost all automotive electrical systems.

Anyhow, there are three terminals on the solenoid of a stock Chevy, but you only use two. Why? Well, that gets back to my original statement. The unused terminal is marked "R", and it is used for a resistance wire to cut the voltage to the points to 5 volts on a points ignition car. This protects the points from burning out prematurely, but is obviously not used with an electronic ignition.

Carsten

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2009
DORTMUND , Germany
the small cable

so, it has got HEI ignition . The big cable from the battery i know . The one small which has power only with ignition on start i know , too. So my only problem is , where for is the second small one , and what do i have to do , when i put in a ministarter , which has only the terminal for the big one and the one on the solenoid for starting ????????????????????

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would try disconnecting the one on the other terminal and see what doesn't work. If everything works, you may be able to eliminate it. If not, then you could possibly reroute it to another circuit.

Carsten

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2009
DORTMUND , Germany
ok... try to check it next days , maybe i find something ;-)
I thought , i am not the only one changing to a mini starter... Compressin seems to be a little to high for the standart one , but it is no problem for the engine , because we have 100 octane fuel here at the filling stations as a standart fuel :)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You have to remember though that European fuel is rated using a different procedure than American fuel. in the US, it is the average of two tests: (Research +motor octane)/2. I forget what the European standard is, but I think it may be the more optimistic of the two used as a stand alone figure. IIRC, the difference between the two (motor and research) is the air temperature at which the test engine is run.

Carsten

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2009
DORTMUND , Germany
no more problems :-(

The problem seems to be solved... The mini starter does not fit my engine , because it is not drilled for that kind of starter , only oem Chevy starter does fit .... ??? I thought all chevy blocks have 3 holes drilled into , for using both kind of starters , mine not..
Thanks , Carsten

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor