Here's A "Better Than NOS" Part You Don't See Every Day

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I haven't seen this thing in probably 10 or 12 years, and I've had it for probably more than 20 years. Been hiding packed away in a box sitting in the back of the shop. Dragged it out today to take a peek.

Why did I say it was better than NOS? Because it's a GM part that wasn't sold over the counter at a GM dealership. What is it, then? It's a COMPLETE G-body steering linkage assembly ready to be stuck to the car while it was going down the assembly line. The report I got this was from the Arlington plant circa 1985 or early 1986. There's an orangy-red paint mark on the center link and a blue paint mark on the 800 series box pitman arm. I don't EVEN want to know how it walked out of the plant. But, nonetheless, I ended up with it. Look for yourself. There's nothing here that doesn't back up that claim, but I have no discernable, iron-clad proof. I know, dozens of people claim that whatever NOS part they have is a "straight off the assembly line" piece, but on a few occasions, I've actually ran into that. I've been around enough GM parts and original factory parts to know this is factory stuff. NO over the counter GM pitman arm came with the PC decal.

Since the only difference in the assemblies from a 600 series and 800 series box was the pitman arm, I'm guessing the plant just pulled the PC tagged assembly and stuck it on the 800 series box cars. Simple.

As seen in a build sheet...the YA steering box with the PC steering linkage:
85 442 Build Sheet YA and PC Steering Block.jpg

Another neat little feature is the almost ALWAYS missing PC code sticker on the pitman arm. I can see why. The thing is brittle. It wraps around itself and sticks to itself. Coated paper, and it gets old, brittle, and crumbly. In fact, when I went to place it on the floor for the picture, it broke.

While I have made a PC code decal in light blue from an 87 442 example, the font is different on that one, along with being white, but yellowing over the years. I'm surmising that the blue one was done for the Pontiac plant, or it may simply be an updated label because a couple of years had passed, who knows. Luckily, I had that font on hand and of course, I've recreated that label now, too. I have a picture of a red one on an 88 MCSS, but it was pretty beat up.

Just my style. I can just pop off my old linkage, measure the length of the current tie-rods and get it within shouting distance of correct toe-in. Somewhere along the line one of the green thread protectors got missing on the tie rod end. Note that old-style idler arm. I think I'm just going to clean it up, take care of a couple of corrosion spots, and satin-clear it.

IMG_0245a.jpg

And here's the tag that broke off.
IMG_0246a.jpg

• Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Possible sent to the dealer as an assembly line replacement/warranty job? The NOS Landau top for Jr.'s 79 came with a sheet that was kept with it in what I'm guessing is the vendor/supplier box & was sent from a GMAD plant to a dealership to replace a top that it never was used to replace.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Possible sent to the dealer as an assembly line replacement/warranty job? The NOS Landau top for Jr.'s 79 came with a sheet that was kept with it in what I'm guessing is the vendor/supplier box & was sent from a GMAD plant to a dealership to replace a top that it never was used to replace.
I dunno. Anything could be possible. Normally, GM was so cheap they'd only replace individual parts like that as needed. Plus, thinking about it, those steering parts should have been available since a zillion similar parts would be in the GMSPO system as all of them were used on G-bodies all over the place. They did have to replace the alternator on the wife's CT5 under warranty soon after we got it and since it was in COVID era, they had none in the system. Had to ship one off the assembly line from the Michigan plant just to get the part.

Manufacturer/Vendor paperwork being included in boxes isn't nothing super unusual. I found a vendor contact list in a box of carpeted floor mats that was in Michigan. Another in Ohio on the front end header box. I called each of those places wondering if they could remake parts, but no. They were under contract and made them specifically for GM. No "aftermarket" support. It was about 10 minutes into the conversation when the floor mat guy I called realized I wasn't a rep from GM. He thought I was calling to complain about their parts. :) I assured him I was not complaining. Each company kept their integrity and wouldn't budge on making any parts. Even though the header panel guy said they kept the molds there on hand, they technically belonged to GM and were there for them if/when they decided they needed them. I tracked down the people who made the dash and console plates and found out they had recycled all the old molds sometime in the 90s after production stopped. I almost cried.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Haven't been under there in a while. They were hit with all that fargin' undercoating goo the dealership thought they'd just charge me for and put on the car because "that's what they normally do." That was after I specifically told them NOT to. But I guess a man's word ain't good enough for a dealership so they sprayed that brown goo crap under the car without permission and against my wishes. And then had the balls to ask me to pay a bunch extra for $20 worth of sealer goo. NO. I told them they had two choices. Get a putty knife and remove it, or eat the cost cuz I wasn't payin'. They tossed it in for free. I'm still po'd to this day at them for doing that. That is until I clean off the gas tank. There's a slight chance I might thank them for that one. Hopefully no corrosion under all that mess. Crossing fingers it does look "new" underneath. We'll see. Looking back, MANY dealers used the toss in all this worthless crap on cars and charge buku bucks for crap nobody really wanted. The only hope I have is if the stuff actually worked.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
They still do...window tint, fabric treatment, pinstripes, paint sealant, "market adjustment"...the list goes on and on

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They still do...window tint, fabric treatment, pinstripes, paint sealant, "market adjustment"...the list goes on and on
I guess I've been lucky lately with not getting any "forced" BS. Unless GM said otherwise, I always used the GM employee/retiree/legacy discount so I've always paid below MSRP. So far I haven't run into any issues.

Last few Cadillacs since 2010 bought for the wife there was only one with any frills added. Zurich offered a 1/2 price deal on the 2019 XT5 she bought up to 150K miles, and when we traded it in a little over a year later, we got a pro-rated refund from them. It was the best 3rd party warranty price for what you got I'd ever seen. Wife wanted it since it was a FWD SUV and she had heard about GM's other FWD SUV's sucking eggs, so ok. But nothing on my truck(s) purchased in 2006, 2010 and 2020. They offered extras, but were politely turned down. Bought both Camaros with no extras in 2010 and 2013. And before that both the his/hers 2002 Camaros had no dealer extra junk.

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Haven't been under there in a while. They were hit with all that fargin' undercoating goo the dealership thought they'd just charge me for and put on the car because "that's what they normally do." That was after I specifically told them NOT to. But I guess a man's word ain't good enough for a dealership so they sprayed that brown goo crap under the car without permission and against my wishes. And then had the balls to ask me to pay a bunch extra for $20 worth of sealer goo. NO. I told them they had two choices. Get a putty knife and remove it, or eat the cost cuz I wasn't payin'. They tossed it in for free. I'm still po'd to this day at them for doing that. That is until I clean off the gas tank. There's a slight chance I might thank them for that one. Hopefully no corrosion under all that mess. Crossing fingers it does look "new" underneath. We'll see. Looking back, MANY dealers used the toss in all this worthless crap on cars and charge buku bucks for crap nobody really wanted. The only hope I have is if the stuff actually worked.

One thing I know it's good for is to hide the rot that's still happening underneath. Hopefully not the case for you.

You sure they didn't tack the cost of the undercoating back in somewhere else? I hate dealers with a passion, them and their super obvious BS games they play.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor