Here's A "Better Than NOS" Part You Don't See Every Day

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
One thing I know it's good for is to hide the rot that's still happening underneath. Hopefully not the case for you.

You sure they didn't tack the cost of the undercoating back in somewhere else? I hate dealers with a passion, them and their super obvious BS games they play.
No. They didn't. They tried the "2nd window sticker" trick, so it was MSRP + the crap they added up for all those "protection" services. Now, I did have to pay GM's MSRP price for it. They weren't budging on that. It was a hard to get car and I got their allotment of 1 car. They honored the same trade-in price, plus only had to pay the obligatory title/tax/tag fees. They didn't have those mysterious "documentation" fees back then, either.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
They still do...window tint, fabric treatment, pinstripes, paint sealant, "market adjustment"...the list goes on and on
Back in the day some dealers would order cars set up for but not equippted with radios just to over charge for factory radio installed for delivery. The dealer I worked at in the late '90's was good for this with Cavialiers.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hehehehe.

Another successful decal repro. Just going to wonder how long it will be before someone steals this design as well? Originally, this was a coated paper decal (like several were). Very short-lived product in the big scheme of things. Not good substrate for longevity. Of course, they didn't care once a car got built.
IMG_0248.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A word about 800 series pitman arms...

78-88 G-body (with RPO NY8, the 800 series box) use the same p/n pitman arm, GM p/n 7837648 (was p/n 7829470). The engineering/casting number is 7828464. Now, I've seen these cast numbers followed up with another number as well. Anyone know what this number is for? Glancing at it, it looks like a + symbol in between, but close inspection shows these are 4 directional arrows. WTF? The number I have as far as NOS part is 6. I've seen 5 and 6 so far. The factory setup I haven't checked as there's blue paint on the arm, plus I haven't crawled under the car to even check that. I wonder if it's a foundry mold number or something.??.

Interestingly, I've had this pitman arm (and the entire piece by piece steering linkage setup) for about 312 years. It's lived in the closet and under climate controlled conditions all these years I've had it. Interestingly, I got it from ebay, and the bag-o-nuts that came with it were a tad rusty INSIDE the package when I got it. But the arm itself barely has any discoloration on it. Easy cleanup for sure. I can't imagine what it would look like if it were in a damp basement for the last 25 years or so.

IMG_0249.jpg

Always be on the look out for this casting number 7828464 when trying to find an 800 series arm for most of your G-body needs.
IMG_0250.jpg

And the underside. It's about 1.5" drop, and approximately 6.25" center to center.
IMG_0251.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
A word about 800 series pitman arms...

78-88 G-body (with RPO NY8, the 800 series box) use the same p/n pitman arm, GM p/n 7837648 (was p/n 7829470). The engineering/casting number is 7828464. Now, I've seen these cast numbers followed up with another number as well. Anyone know what this number is for? Glancing at it, it looks like a + symbol in between, but close inspection shows these are 4 directional arrows. WTF? The number I have as far as NOS part is 6. I've seen 5 and 6 so far. The factory setup I haven't checked as there's blue paint on the arm, plus I haven't crawled under the car to even check that. I wonder if it's a foundry mold number or something.??.

Interestingly, I've had this pitman arm (and the entire piece by piece steering linkage setup) for about 312 years. It's lived in the closet and under climate controlled conditions all these years I've had it. Interestingly, I got it from ebay, and the bag-o-nuts that came with it were a tad rusty INSIDE the package when I got it. But the arm itself barely has any discoloration on it. Easy cleanup for sure. I can't imagine what it would look like if it were in a damp basement for the last 25 years or so.

View attachment 242092

Always be on the look out for this casting number 7828464 when trying to find an 800 series arm for most of your G-body needs.
View attachment 242093

And the underside. It's about 1.5" drop, and approximately 6.25" center to center.
View attachment 242094
Most likely date of manufacture. The arrow pointing at months,days, year. I’ve seen my brother read them off on Mopar parts. Some will have a circle with in facing lines.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Most likely date of manufacture. The arrow pointing at months,days, year. I’ve seen my brother read them off on Mopar parts. Some will have a circle with in facing lines.
Hmm. Could be. But it's not making sense. It's like a 4 way pointer, each pointing N, E, S, W. At first glance I thought it was a plus sign, TBH. I just put a magnifying glass to it and it looks like a small circle with 4 diamond shapes around it. Weird.

Hard to decipher in this pic, but it doesn't appear to be any sort of date stamping I'm used to seeing. Might be a manufacturer's mark? Unsure.

IMG_0255a.jpg

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Hmm. Could be. But it's not making sense. It's like a 4 way pointer, each pointing N, E, S, W. At first glance I thought it was a plus sign, TBH. I just put a magnifying glass to it and it looks like a small circle with 4 diamond shapes around it. Weird.

Hard to decipher in this pic, but it doesn't appear to be any sort of date stamping I'm used to seeing. Might be a manufacturer's mark? Unsure.

View attachment 242107
I see what you mean. Could be a. Molding batch number +6. Only to fallow the casting if any problem occurs with the batch. They make multiple at a time. Hard to tell but I understand.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor