heres a nice gbody....for those with money to burn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
454muscle said:
67rstbkt said:
I don't know why everyone feels the need to put down this guys car;
Who put down his car? If anything, everyone praised the work and parts that went into it.

As for criticism, people just stated that they thought the price was kinda high (with the exception of the sucks b*** comment).

67rstbkt said:
I don't see where he asked for advice?
He didn't, but then again, this is a discussion forum, isn't it?

Your right, and I'm expressing my opinion on the subject (like you). On top of that, this was originally posted in the For sale section and some of the same people commenting here bombarded his For sale post with the same stuff (which I deleted, look up price cop rules). The guy did not ask for opinion on price there, but it was offered up anyways, by some of the same people who would throw a fit is someone price copped their for sale posts.

OK, I'm done ranting now.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
jae said:
How is the auto "semi-automatic" just b/c it has the Lightning Rods shifters?
Semi-auto? I hope someone snaps it up before the ban gets rammed through.
It should be a nice car when it's done. Hopefully the next owner doesn't put 26s on it and paint it up like the Garbage Pail Kids or Pokemon or something. GLWS.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
bill said:
oh He didnt ask for it........but the first amendment is a wonderful freedom.....ok, maybe advice isnt the right word...how about opinion... ? I hope he sells it...I think most of us do....just think he might be reaching a bit...thats all.

It works both ways, I have no problem with your opinion. I'm expressing the same when I make my comments.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
67rstbkt said:
Your right, and I'm expressing my opinion on the subject (like you). On top of that, this was originally posted in the For sale section and some of the same people commenting here bombarded his For sale post with the same stuff (which I deleted, look up price cop rules). The guy did not ask for opinion on price there, but it was offered up anyways, by some of the same people who would throw a fit is someone price copped their for sale posts.

OK, I'm done ranting now.
Ahh... I understand where you're coming from now. Makes sense, sometimes people cross the line.

I spent a lotta time and money on mine, and it's appraised at about 1/3 of what went into it, and even that is a stretch to sell it at. Also a general rule is that the value of your car isn't affected by the cost of the labour/parts you put into it. Originality, and rarity bumps price up. The actual value of parts on your car, if you were to consider it, would be 50 cents on the dollar, and no labour should be counted.

You're right about not knowing his situation too, obviously he's selling at a loss... but that's why I was asking... anyways it looks like a quality build. Personally I hope he ends up finishing it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
According to his Ebay add this is his stated reason for selling:
"Literally no expense was spared in building this car but after 25 years of building hot rods I'm bored and haven't had the urge to finish this one. Spent significantly more than asking price to build this car and all receipts will be included. No junkyard parts - everything purchased new."

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The only person who's gonna buy that is someone who doesn't do their research (rich and stupid), has drug money (still stupid) or is just rich and lazy... :lol:
There are plenty of finished ones out there for half the price... the guy has obviously not done his research which begs other questions.
Just because he threw money at it doesn't mean it was done right either... the Chevy motor is a huge red flag.
I've never seen a Cutlass sell for that money, even a 1983 Hurst Olds with 11 miles on it...
But hey, if it were me selling it I'd still give it a shot and take the heat... can't win if you don't play.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
I quickly glanced over his modlist. My car has almost all the same, if not more mods. It appraised at 5500 market value. 8000 replacement cost. That's assuming the body is worthless (which it mostly is). So this guy is basically asking 15,000 dollars for the body and frame. Maybe it's just because I like to "go fast" more than look good, but I just can't place that sort of value in the G-body body and frame, regardless of how nice the paint is. Nice car, everything looks super nice, but I just can't see myself paying that much a g-body other than a real GN. This is like restored GN prices. In my mind they are still just cheap RWD platforms to build something on - far from a collector car. If I crashed the one I have, I'd just go out and buy another clean shell for 2k and built it up again. I don't think "minty" interior and nice paint, or NOS reproduction peices adds much value. Maybe 1k across the whole car. Not 15k.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Well at least we all agree, however to be fair to the guy, we have beat on him pretty hard for his high price. Maybe he is used to doing chevelles or novas rather than gbodys

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
othtim said:
I quickly glanced over his mod list. My car has almost all the same, if not more mods. It appraised at 5500 market value. 8000 replacement cost. That's assuming the body is worthless (which it mostly is). So this guy is basically asking 15,000 dollars for the body and frame. Maybe it's just because I like to "go fast" more than look good, but I just can't place that sort of value in the G-body body and frame, regardless of how nice the paint is. Nice car, everything looks super nice, but I just can't see myself paying that much a g-body other than a real GN. This is like restored GN prices. In my mind they are still just cheap RWD platforms to build something on - far from a collector car. If I crashed the one I have, I'd just go out and buy another clean shell for 2k and built it up again. I don't think "minty" interior and nice paint, or NOS / reproduction pieces adds much value. Maybe 1k across the whole car. Not 15k.

Very well said...

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
67rstbkt said:
The guy spent a ton of cash, selling the car at a loss, and you tell him it just isn't worth it? Just saying; that plus, he never asked for anyone's opinion on price. I like how people just jump in and start saying this is worth this much or that much. Fact is, it costs money to build a quality car. If I really wanted a Cutlass and was going to build it "all the way", picking up something like this would save me a ton of work and cash.

So are you saying this is a very good price?

Are you saying paying $25K for a vehicle that is not finished, especially b/c it appeared the owner got too bored, is a deal?

What else was he too bored to do?

Could it be this is a "checkbook" car and he's looking to recoup everything + profit? Does that make it worth $25K?

What is the car worth finished? $30K, $28K, $35K?

I believe for the most part everyone on here was pretty reasonable in their comments - I could imagine the responses he's getting elsewhere. Also I'm sure all of us would understand the price if this was an early A-Body (though most would still pan the SBC crate engine). But as most pointed out there's a difference between realistic and delusional - this kind of goes along with "Barrett-Jackson Syndrome". And with that, it's not so much building a car you like but building a car that's right, i.e. sell quick for top dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor