? Hollow front sway bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Longroof79 said:
I've taken my 36mm bar from a Firebird GTA. I took the clamps and bushings. I get two opposing stories as to what clamps fit and which ones don't. Some guys say that you can reuse your stock G-body clamps using the 36mm bushings, others say you can bolt the Firebird clamps and bushings right on to a G-body.. It's a bit conflicting.
I plan on using the bar on my wagon, and would also like to know what I can or cannot use.
It currently has the 32mm GN front bar, which works quite well.
The three sizes that came on the third gen camaro's were 32mm, 34mm pictured and 36mm which I have on my regal. I do not believe the camaro frame brackets will fit the g body cars, the bolt spacing is wider. I used my stock g body brackets with the stock 36mm bushings and bar.

Attachments

• 36mm swaybar.jpg
    36mm swaybar.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,073

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
When I went to the Monte SS bar I had to use the SS brackets because my little v6 factory brackets were too small.

If anyone has a hollow bar - I don't care what size - I'm interested.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
LS1GN said:
When I went to the Monte SS bar I had to use the SS brackets because my little v6 factory brackets were too small.

If anyone has a hollow bar - I don't care what size - I'm interested.

Mine is a v6 and my brackets worked with the 36mm bar, not sure why yours wouldn't fit.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
LS1GN said:
I had a really puny little bar on the front.
Surprisingly so did mine, I don't think any of the v6 cars other than t type and GN's came with anything other than the tiniest bars on them.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
So what year camaros and or fire birds or Trans ams can I steel the front sway bar from? I would like to switch mines out to.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
So what year camaros and or fire birds or Trans ams can I steel the front sway bar from? I would like to switch mines out to.
Third gen camaro or firebird, 82 to 92. The 36mm bar is usually found on GTA's, that's where I got mine. Last time I was at a yard i counted at least 12 camaro's with the 34mm bar on them, seems the be the most common size.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Khan, I used my factory f41 mounts with new poly bushings in them with the 36mm hollow. I couldn't find a 36 in a yard only 32s & 34s so I also picked up my 36 at a dealership. But I paid $100 for mine and that was after the parts guy took 20% off for me just because he was a fellow hot rodder. It was on the 442 and I might not have bothered since I had the factory f41 bar but with the still somewhat soft factory 442 springs and the 509 I wanted to take what weight off if I could and stiffen it up cheap and easy compared to doing springs. I added new poly end links at the same time and it worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor