Hood hinge question...

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Is this the right hood hinges for my 86 Elky? I ask because the ones currently on the car don't have the pieces in the picture that's connected by the line. Where those upright pieces connect to the lower part of the hinge is just a hole where it would connect to the car body. Am i missing something here?
hood hinge.png

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
That’s the lower part of the hinge that bolts to the fender. Same style as I have on my 86 GP and 81 Malibu.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Those are the same ones I have on my '79 Malibu. I would like to convert over to the shock style.

Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Those are the same ones I have on my '79 Malibu. I would like to convert over to the shock style.
I converted my stock ones to shocks. I replaced one bolt with a ball, and added a ball to where the spring mounts to the upper part of the hinge. Then I popped a shock on. I have a fiberglass hood, so if you have a steel hood, you would need a stronger shock. I got everything from amazon and the install was quick.

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I converted my stock ones to shocks. I replaced one bolt with a ball, and added a ball to where the spring mounts to the upper part of the hinge. Then I popped a shock on. I have a fiberglass hood, so if you have a steel hood, you would need a stronger shock. I got everything from amazon and the install was quick.
Maybe thats the way for me to go. My hood makes a nasty groaning sound when I open it - to me it sounds like metal under stress.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
That’s the lower part of the hinge that bolts to the fender. Same style as I have on my 86 GP and 81 Malibu.
It's been raining so I can't get a photo of what's different with mine. Mine doesn't have the upright pieces.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
hinge.jpg
If you can see the hinge in this photo - that is what my hinge looks like. After the springe just a single arm that gets bolted to the fender. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Reactions: 2 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
View attachment 240174 If you can see the hinge in this photo - that is what my hinge looks like. After the springe just a single arm that gets bolted to the fender. Maybe I'm missing something here.
OK. I figured out what I was not seeing. Damn do I feel like an idiot. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: 1 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
OK. I figured out what I was not seeing. Damn do I feel like an idiot. Thanks everyone.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Send me a picture of your hinge shock set up. I have a steel hood.
No need to feel like an idiot. We've ALL been there looking at something trying to figure it out and then all the sudden it just hits you. I typically blame it on my colorful youth.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor