Hooker BlackHeart Steering Shaft?

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
who's done this? i'm looking at it and watched a few vids on install and looks like grinding needs to be done on steering wheel shaft to fit. i looked at itr thinkin 'shouldn't there be dust boots over U joint areas'? what's goin on there, are the bearings sealed? i don't see grease fittings... i'm kinda interested from a reg street driving POV, post your testimony. TIA

Last edited:

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
who's done this? i'm looking at it and watched a few vids on install and looks like grinding needs to be done on steering wheel shaft to fit. i looked at itr thinkin 'shouldn't there be dust boots over U joint areas'? what's goin on there, are the bearings sealed? i don't see grease fittings... i'm kinda interested from a reg street driving POV, post your testimony. TIA

Sheesh they're proud of that thing. Go find a rwd astro van at the junkyard and snatch the shaft from it. Clock the upper end 90 degrees, Grease and paint it. You're all in for maybe $30-40.
20161201_150943.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Sheesh they're proud of that thing. Go find a rwd astro van at the junkyard and snatch the shaft from it. Clock the upper end 90 degrees, Grease and paint it. You're all in for maybe $30-40. View attachment 228249
i'm down with that lower price grift however in my situation not so easy but open to alternatives just seen the hooker version as a starting point.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
i'm down with that lower price grift however in my situation not so easy but open to alternatives just seen the hooker version as a starting point.
I'm running headers on my LS and have plenty of clearance. Unless the hookers loop out far you'd be fine. There was a guy on here selling already modified astro van shafts. The other alternative is one from a grand cherokee.

Reactions: 2 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
The body of frame design needs a slip joint to connect the steering box to the steering column.

The 2 universal joint shafts do not have a slip joint to deal with linear movement.

When you got it all apart push and pull on the shaft sticking out of the steering box, then do the same on steering column. There is zero movement in and out.
The front frame section WILL move around as we drive. I've heard the replies of the D shaft telescoping but it's very hard to move because it's meant to collapse in an accident, not for the constant frame flexing.

It's been done many times without a slip joint but I believe in not eliminating it. You also have the option to rebuild the rag joint. There is no slop joint unless it's broken.

Attachments

• 20211011_132616.jpg
    20211011_132616.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I have the Astro shaft on my Malibu and my Grand National. Both work great and didn't cost anything close to that Hooker shaft. Only modifications were clocking it and filing a groove on the lower shaft of the column to clear the retaining bolt.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I'll just wait until Ostrich has a chance to locate more Astro shafts and prep them. Same thing, way cheaper.

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
I have this Hooker Blackheart steering shaft. More expensive than an Astro shaft, but I didn't have time to dig around at junkyards.
It worked great for me.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor