Hooker Headers fit Buick 350 Engines in GBody

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I spent a good bit of time on the header into the 81 Olds Cutlass this evening. Most of the time was spent looking for dropped screws and such. I ordered a set of Hooker 1103HKR for a A Body Skylark. I am very happy to say that the installation was a breeze. No cutting, no bending, no fuss, just the normal frustrations on any project. The passenger side header was the hardest to install due to trans lines and such. THe passenger side barely touches the lower control arm mounting frame. I figure it will bend in a tad on its own, or I could heat a tad a bend an 1/8" or so. Drivers side couldnt have fit any better. I ran into an issue with the column shifting linkage hitting the top side of the collector when placed into gear. After I $hit myself for about 20 minutes I decided to straighten the bent linkage and now the shifting is smooth and the indicator is on target. Below are some pics. Cant wait to drive it now!

So I guess there really is not a need to make headers since they fit!!

Attachments

• drivers_side_finished.jpg
    drivers_side_finished.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 2,317
  • midstream.jpg
    midstream.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 3,110
  • pass_clearance_pic.jpg
    pass_clearance_pic.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,443

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
more

Attachments

• drivers.jpg
    drivers.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,664
  • linkage_into_trans.jpg
    linkage_into_trans.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,690
  • column_linkage fab.jpg
    column_linkage fab.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 2,752

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
more

Attachments

• good clearance drivers side.jpg
    good clearance drivers side.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,762

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Sweet, they look good! I thought I had heard about Buick headers after we had talked before, looks like you found them. So I guess the question now is what about BBB? I had the same shift linkage issue, it's actually only in the low ranges, I'm sure I'll get it adjusted before the on-season. Very much looking forward to that elusive temperature outside where I get the itch to go work in the garage...

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It looks like they fit well and the from your pictures they look pretty well tucked up high near the floor boards which I definitely like. Nothing worse than ground clearance issues with headers or exhaust.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
*bookmarked.

Reactions: 1 user

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Intragration said:
Sweet, they look good! I thought I had heard about Buick headers after we had talked before, looks like you found them. So I guess the question now is what about BBB? I had the same shift linkage issue, it's actually only in the low ranges, I'm sure I'll get it adjusted before the on-season. Very much looking forward to that elusive temperature outside where I get the itch to go work in the garage...

Yesterday it was 60 here in Cincinnati so time to go to work!! BBB has headers on the market, you should have no issues there. They are sold at TA Performance and other places. Shifting linkage, very easy fix. Take it out. Put in a bech vise, heat a bit, smash it, goes right back in with no issues.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
565bbchevy said:
It looks like they fit well and the from your pictures they look pretty well tucked up high near the floor boards which I definitely like. Nothing worse than ground clearance issues with headers or exhaust.

yes, agreed. They sit very high, actually the drivers side sits so high I could use about 1/4" more down just being picky for asthetic sake.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Finished the project yesterday with the CAI, relocating the battery to the trunk and finishing the headers.

Starter was the only thing that I had small problems with. The starter shield needed bent down for header clearance so the starter hot connections made contact with the shield, so the shield needed trimmed a bit. The starter shield is also a little tricky to put back on. I found it easiest to place the blot towards the back of the car in first then tighten. Push up on the shield while tight and tighten the rest of the way with a stub 3/8 ratchet. Then I can get to the front bolt very easy.

Performance if very nice with the CAI finished and ported into the front of the rad support and the headers. I am waiting to hear back from Ken at Everyday Performance how much more rich I should get the carb running since I am so less restricted now.

Now to get the 200r4 and 3:42 gears. That should really get my time down.

Attachments

• starter shield install.jpg
    starter shield install.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,373
  • starter shield install 2.jpg
    starter shield install 2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,450
  • starter shield install3.jpg
    starter shield install3.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,401

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
more

Attachments

• batterycable_short.jpg
    batterycable_short.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,359
  • cut shield1.jpg
    cut shield1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,353
  • cutshield2.jpg
    cutshield2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,354
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor