How a charcoal cannister works

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
My only concern is having fuel vapors under the hood. I plan to clean or replace the tank anyway, so I guess I will just disconnect the other lines just for good measure. Thank fellas....

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Blake442 said:
Like Bonnewagon mentioned, there really is no need to remove the charcoal filter system.
However, certain applications won't require them, or even have the provisions to support it.

I removed the charcoal canister system on my 442 when I installed the 455... Here's what I did.

Naturally, I removed the canister, and then started following the line down the frame rail to about as far as the brake proportioning valve. I was able to remove as far as that, and then broke off the line. At this point, the line gets tucked into a cluster of other lines, and I didn't feel like opening up the clip holding them.
I followed the line all the way back to the junction with the tank, which is hidden with a small heat shield, and disconnected the rubber hose from the vent line.
Now I was holding in my hand a section of 3/8 rubber hose going to the vent on the sending unit.
Here is where I got creative, and used a small plastic vent that is typically found on rear axles. I don't have a picture handy, but it's just a little chunk of plastic. I popped that in the end of the line, put the heat shield back in place.

Never had any problems with vapors, leaking, or smell for that matter...

Blake, props for your ingenuity. I take it these are the vent valves your referring to...
ventwhite.jpg
valveblack.jpg

Can vapors only escape out of the vent line with these valves, or are they freeflowing?

I'm addressing this issue myself and am concerned about safety, I do not want to take any chances of my car bursting into flames.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois
I just removed my gas tank and was wondering about the return line. I was considering mounting my charcoal canister underneath the car, purely for asthetics underhood. This vent valve seems pretty sweet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor