How can this be?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
'95 Bizzarro Bird again. After I replaced the fuel pump/sender assembly (https://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52416#.VF-CjmdGbN0) the gas gauge was stuck on "E". It sat for a few months until I had a chance to get at it. Opened up the access panel again (thank's 83MONTESS!!) and pulled it out, looked OK. Gauge tested good and working the float up and down manually the dash gauge responded. Put it back together and same thing- "E" or 3/4 full depending on how I inserted it. After a lot of swearing I figured out that; A-the float has to be held in the up position with a wire as the pump is inserted into the tank or else the float gets jammed up at the plastic baffle that it sits in inside the tank. B- the float arm gets bent by tightening down the pump cover plate while the float is thus jammed against the baffle, throwing off the gauge reading. SO- I get the pump installed, the float arm adjusted to read a bit low so "E" is really a few gallons left. I add fuel and the gauge responds correctly- until it overflows. HUH? I had filled the tank after first fixing the pump, drove it around a bit, got it inspected, and put it away. I drained 15 gallons to re-fix it, and the manual says it takes 15.5. I can't get the last 3 gallons back in. It overflows at the filler and gauge reads overfull. I thought air pocket so I even reopened the pump cover and it was full. WTF?!? This car fights me at every turn but this is just unbelievable.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeah, it's original. The only thing changed was the pump/sender assembly. I got a great deal on a SPECTRE brand on RockAuto. Pump, sender, float, filter, wiring harness- complete. Steve, I'm not kidding. I drained 15 gallons out and can only get 12 gallons back in. Did the magic elves come and pee in the tank when I wasn't looking?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't have to tell you this but that does not make sense. Wait a second I know the answer, The fuel was cold when you took it out and it has expanded now that the fuel is warmer... 8)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's what my Wife said...... :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor