How do I disable glovebox locks from locking without a key?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I had recently acquired a pair of cubby doors for my wagon. I was thinking, rather than having them keyed to fit the door locks, disable the locks altogether.
Could this just be achieved by removing the necessary tumblers from the cylinders?

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I don't see why not but I've never tried. How does one get the tumblers out?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yes you can take out the 4 tumblers but IIRC, there is a retainer that is in the first position. Looks like a tumbler but really isn’t. Those key tumblers are called pop ins. Because you just pop them in. A bit more effort to pop them out though. Small screwdriver makes it easier. Watch out for the little springs in case you want to put them back one day. If not, let them fly.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
With no tumblers you remove any need fort the key. Some people do it with door locks so any key that fits the keyway can open their locked doors.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yes you can take out the 4 tumblers but IIRC, there is a retainer that is in the first position. Looks like a tumbler but really isn’t. Those key tumblers are called pop ins. Because you just pop them in. A bit more effort to pop them out though. Small screwdriver makes it easier. Watch out for the little springs in case you want to put them back one day. If not, let them fly.
Thank you very much. I figured if anyone had knowledge on the subject. it would be you.:)
I figured the #1 position is the retainer that holds the lock cylinder from popping out.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
With no tumblers you remove any need fort the key. Some people do it with door locks so any key that fits the keyway can open their locked doors.
I greatly appreciate the information. Thank you again. I will be careful removing the tumblers and springs.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Push in retainer.
1719949943105.png

Remove guts. Retainer is in the front nearest the knob. There are some that have TWO retainers, but I think those are older ones. Not 100% sure, though. Haven't messed with many lock compartment ones.
1719949997304.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It might be infinitely harder WITHOUT a key. From what I remember, I think you have to have it locked, with the key left inside to pull the tumblers down. You may be able to pick them down with a bent paper clip. I've always had the key so I'm not familiar doing it without the key.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Push in retainer.
View attachment 241852

Remove guts. Retainer is in the front nearest the knob. There are some that have TWO retainers, but I think those are older ones. Not 100% sure, though. Haven't messed with many lock compartment ones.
View attachment 241853
Many thanks for the detailed pics. You da man.
I did notice that the retainer pin (#1) is silver in color compared to the rest which are brass or gold in color. .

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor