How do I disable glovebox locks from locking without a key?

Jack, where the heck did you find the cubby doors ????? Ive been looking for a clean set.
Hey Mich,
A nice fellow member answered my want ad telling me he has a set that he's had in storage for many years. He decided not to use them on his own wagon and was willing to let them go after agreeing on a price. They happened to be in very nice clean condition. I will keep an eye out for a set for you. I know you were also interested in acquiring a set. 🙂

Just a few, huh? That's an understatement. I could tell that you've done this before. I think I should just send you my locks and have you key them to my doors and tailgate.🤔
If you got a key to go by I probably could.

There's only ONE thing you need to check...the keyway. Does your current set of door keys slide into the compartment locks? It doesn't have to turn them, just goes in and seats correctly. Then it'll have the same keyway. If not, you'll have to find the correct key for the existing keyway.

But yeah, hit me up near the end of the month if you want me to do it. I'll have more free time then. Ask oldsofb (Hutch) if he's happy with his lockset I redone for him.

Ask @oldsofb (Hutch) if he's happy with his lockset I redone for him.
Why wait? I'm tickled pink!

They turned out fantastic! Clean, perty, and ready to install (if I ever get the damn thing done 🙄)

Hutch

Hey Mich,
A nice fellow member answered my want ad telling me he has a set that he's had in storage for many years. He decided not to use them on his own wagon and was willing to let them go after agreeing on a price. They happened to be in very nice clean condition. I will keep an eye out for a set for you. I know you were also interested in acquiring a set. 🙂
Jack, if you hear of another set please let me know. Im always looking.
Post a couple of pictures when you have them installed ! Even better, post what they look like out of the car and what they latch on to. I have no idea what I should be trying to get

If you got a key to go by I probably could.

There's only ONE thing you need to check...the keyway. Does your current set of door keys slide into the compartment locks? It doesn't have to turn them, just goes in and seats correctly. Then it'll have the same keyway. If not, you'll have to find the correct key for the existing keyway.

But yeah, hit me up near the end of the month if you want me to do it. I'll have more free time then. Ask oldsofb (Hutch) if he's happy with his lockset I redone for him.
Being that the locks did not include a key, I would have to include one of my door keys. Do you need to see what type of locks they are?
My door key does slide into the slots, no problem. Hopefully, i have a good door key.

Being that the locks did not include a key, I would have to include one of my door keys. Do you need to see what type of locks they are?
My door key does slide into the slots, no problem. Hopefully, i have a good door key.
If your key goes in, it's the right keyway. There should be a little letter code on the side of your door key (B, D, H, K) and that signifies the keyway used. A 1979 should be a B key.

No, all I would need is a good resolution photo of the side cuts of the key on both sides. I've been playing around with these long enough to figure out which cut goes where.

We'll discuss this more later on if you like. But yeah, I think I can fix you up. DON'T disassemble the guts of the tumblers/springs if you want me to do it. You'll likely need to disassemble the case/cylinder to get it out anyway. Just take the locks out of the panels, wrap 'em up in a box, send them to me and I'll take it from there.

If your key goes in, it's the right keyway. There should be a little letter code on the side of your door key (B, D, H, K) and that signifies the keyway used. A 1979 should be a B key.

No, all I would need is a good resolution photo of the side cuts of the key on both sides. I've been playing around with these long enough to figure out which cut goes where.

We'll discuss this more later on if you like. But yeah, I think I can fix you up. DON'T disassemble the guts of the tumblers/springs if you want me to do it. You'll likely need to disassemble the case/cylinder to get it out anyway. Just take the locks out of the panels, wrap 'em up in a box, send them to me and I'll take it from there.
Thank you! I was looking for a good OEM key with the letter code on it and found one. One was a hardware store replacement and the other was an OEM GM key.. they both are B keys and seemed to match. Good news!
I decided not to disassemble the guts. The locks are apart somewhat. The cylinder portion(s) are on the panels currently and come off easily.
We'll talk further. I'll find a nice small box for them in the meantime. Thanks again!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor