How do I identify an unknown camshaft without removing it from the motor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
The best way to nail my correct timing and everything else related to tuning my engine correctly, is to know exactly what camshaft I'm working with..

I have an unknown camshaft and I want to identify it without pulling the camshaft from the motor..

What are you guys' ideas on how to go about that?

I seen this ProForm universal cam checker..part # 68902... what do you guys think about this?
Screenshot_20220911-084004-485.png

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You did notice she did it on the side with the head off
I have a similar tool I use for my engine builds.
20170730_152038-1_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
You did notice she did on the side with the head off
Yeah yeah I noticed that, but I didn't see the significance of it.. that tool only installs into the lifter valves and you can access that just by removing the intake manifold without removing the head...

Unless the head needs to be removed for proper reading.. is that the case?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yeah yeah I noticed that, but I didn't see the significance of it.. that tool only installs into the lifter valves and you can access that just by removing the intake manifold without removing the head...

Unless the head needs to be removed for proper reading.. is that the case?
The head has to be removed to use this style tool,

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
She also states duration but only lift can be checked with this tool so you would only know part of the cam specs.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
She also states duration but only lift can be checked with this tool so you would only know part of the cam specs.
Damn... Is there another way I can tell what kind of camshaft I have without removing it from the motor ?

I'm trying to contact the previous owner to see if he can probably tell me.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just think that plays a major part in trying to tune my engine right, is knowing the camshaft I have to work with
305's are limited on how much cam they can tolerate, if it runs decent and there are no bad lobes or dished/worn lifters than I would not be to concerned about the specs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
305's are limited on how much cam they can tolerate, if it runs decent and there are no bad lobes or dished/worn lifters than I would not be to concerned about the specs.
Need to know I'm setting the timing right.

My camshaft is not stock because of the vacuum levels.. the engine runs and drives strong but people are saying that my vacuum levels are too low for a stock camshaft and that it is aftermarket. My vacuum levels are 13 HG and stock is 18 HG..

This whole time I've been trying to time my engine on stock specifications when I do not have a stock engine...assuming the engine is stock, but slowly but surely learning that it is not.

It's a 305 LG4 with 305 high output heads... Edelbrock performer intake, 650 CFM Holley carburetor, and no emissions. This isn't the original engine that came with the car from the factory, there used to be a V6 in this Monte Carlo.

I basically know everything about this engine except the camshaft..

Need to know the size of the camshaft so that way I'm able to time and tune my engine correctly. Different size cams have different operating ranges when it comes to vacuum, timing, and RPM.

Without knowing what my camshaft is, I'm shooting in the dark.

I guess the best way to tell is to find the biggest camshaft for 305 and look at its ranges and go down from there..

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Chicken and egg. Timing and carb adjustments will effect vacuum readings. Doesn't necessarily mean you have a "big" cam.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor