How do i make more power out of my olds 307.....help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Upgrade the coil/cap.I had a D.U.I. cap/coil on my 307 and i used livewires spark plug wires on mine.

I also modified my ccc qjet by grinding down the secondary air valve door stop on the rear passenger side of the carb,by doing this it allows the air valve flaps to open up more improving overall performance.

If it's a stock ccc qjet,all you can do is modify and tune the secondary side of the carb,since the primary side is computer controlled.Go to the junkyard or buy new secodary metering rods like CC,CK,CV and Ak rods and use either the stock metering rod hanger or use a different lettered hanger.Through tuning I found that using CV rods and a K hanger allows a good overall performance margin and since i had a slightly spruced up ignition and running 93 it ran good.

Another trick is to remove the ccc carb and unbolt the egr discharge tubes that are inside the intake manifold where the venturis are and by cutting these tubes down to the hex base,it creates more airflow towards the front 4 cylinders and improving low-mid rpm torque and power.

And if you have a little more cash on you,junk the ccc distributor/carb and bolt up a pre 1979 distributor/Q-jet and it'll be a pretty good improvement over the stock junk.This also allows you to set the timing up and advancing it and running higher octane rated fuel.

Grab some cold air too,fab up a dual snorkel air cleaner like I did using two stock cutlass 307 air cleaners and cutting one of the snorkels off and have it welded to the other,or buy a used 1985-1987 442/hurst/olds air cleaner which are dual snorkels as well.Open elements like to draw in hot air from the radiator and engine thus lowering performance.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
art said:
If all of that gives you 5 extra hp (don't laugh) It was some of the least expensive power you will ever get.

That's the truth. Remember, a bigger Olds engine is basically a bolt in. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor